Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Shocks and Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 11:20 PM
mtrchamp
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks and Springs

Ok, I was wondering.... for crawling, what type of shock springs should I run? Soft, Medium, or Hard springs? I am going to be running either Savage stock shocks and springs, or maxx shocks, w/ different springs... would those stock savage shocks be okay for crawling... LMK, thanks!
Old 07-13-2004, 11:34 PM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Shocks and Springs

The Savage shocks will work great as long as they are used in the right application.

As far as suspension set ups. Some people run zero droop and others run up to 50% of their travel in droop. It's more of a personal choice. With my little TLT I prefer to run zero droop with medium springs. I do run heavier damping though, which seems to be increasing all the time.

The increased damping is so that if a tire falls off the side it doesn't drop fast which can pull the truck off of a ledge. Heavy damping helps control this. Since you are moving at such a slow speed you don't need light damping as the shocks compress slowly anyway.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:41 PM
mtrchamp

I am going to be running 35 wt oil, will this affect it any? also, I am estimating my truck will way in the hi 4 to mid 5 pound range.... should I run it at zero? so that I have more travel? the way I am setting it up also helps because I am going to use wire snaps to hold them on the cants.... like on the gecko I
Old 07-14-2004, 12:52 AM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

Oil wt. is hard to say with out actually seeing it in person and knowing piston size, etc.

As far as pre-load/spring weight goes, basically make sure when you are at full articulation on one wheel that the shock being articulated is fully compressed and the one on the opposite corner is fully compressed before any other wheels lift off of the ground. If they lift off the ground before full compression your springs are probably too stiff.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:08 PM
mtrchamp

ok thnx
Old 07-30-2004, 12:12 AM
ChevyPedeCrawlr

Use the maxx shocks with diferent springs.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:11 AM
mtrchamp

Integy Piggybacks are what I'm going for I found a set on here for $30, 1 run on them, 4 of them! [8D]