Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

First timer, need advise

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

First timer, need advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 11:00 PM
TMASTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First timer, need advise

Hi, I want to buy a electric helicopter kit, ive narrowed it down to the piccolo, piccolo pro, or the hummingbird CP. I want to eventually do 3D tricks, but I dont want to ahve to buy two electric helicopters if i just get the cheap basic fixed pitch kit first and like it so much i want better. the hummingbird is way less cost then the piccolo pro kits, but i havent found any videos or seen any 3d come from it. I jsut cant bring myself to spend $600 on the piccolo pro kit right off the bat, the hummingbird elite kit is only $350 with everything. Any opinion or advise Id really appreciate it!!!
Old 08-04-2004, 11:16 PM
tommyboy1229

Default RE: First timer, need advise

Look at the Shogun. It is more like a larger nitro heli as it is not glued together And will be easier to fix. I have a Piccolo pro and I like it but it is a pain to repair and that tail motor gives me fits.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:30 PM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

yup the shogun or the zoom...same thing. I want one but cant afford it.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:50 PM
synoptik

I have to disagree with the Zoom/Shogun, it is a great helicopter but very advanced for someone new to the hobby. I would go with something fixed pitch, cheap and simple like the piccolo fun. The piccolo fun kit is only $60 for the heli and motors incase you should crash which I am 100% sure you will since you have said that you are new but chances are you won't hurt much as this kit has a niffty snap off rotor head making this helicopter crashable numerous times, however you probably will break the landing gear because it is a very fragile design. Its all around a good trainer to start out with and you'd be surprised how many tricks you can do with a fixed pitch helicopter once you get better at flying. I believe you could also upgrade to fixed pitch, should you get the urge to fly upside down . The biggest set back for mostly everyone who's new to the sport is flying nose forward heading in your direction (head-on) so I would get used to that and then go for something like the piccolo pro or the shogun or the hummingbird, whichever you should choose.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:09 AM
TMASTER

Hey, I live just north of Austin So you think i should jsut start off with the basic kit im thinking that too i mean if i really like it ill spend more $ and get the best stuff later. Also I was doing some read about flying modes, Mode 1 and Mode 2, it was on teh shoguns pdf instruction manual. I want to set up my controler the best way for the pitch, elevator, roll.. etc.. What mode do you guys fly???

mode 1: elevator up and down on the left stick, tail left and right on the left stick, and pitch up and down on the right stick, Roll left and right on the right stick

mode 2: pitch up and down on the left stick, tail left and right on the left stick, and elevator up and down on the right stick, Roll left and right on the right stick
Old 08-05-2004, 01:32 AM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

i believe most use mode 1.......for 139.99 plush shipping you can get a jabo 2 helicopter wich many peeps have and are getting. Its a good design and a cheap price.... cheap parts too.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:49 AM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

I personally don't feel that a micro is a good way to start, a Corona is a lot more stable and is very durable, you'll have a much less frustrating time learning with one of those, I'd go with an inexpensive brushed set up and a nice hh gyro like a futaba gy 240 or 401 which you can keep and put in other heli's later, plus the Corona holds it's value because of it's popularity so you could get a good amount of your money back once you're ready to move on.

If you insist on starting with a micro though, like people above suggested, I'd go with a regular fp fun piccolo or hummingbird, they're very durable as well and inexpensive. You can also add a cp upgrade later on when you're ready. If you try to learn with a cp micro, you are asking for trouble. You'll be spending more time and $ fixing and wrenching than anything else and it will be frustrating. IF you tip a fp micro and cut the power in time, chances are you can pick it back up and try again, this is not the case with a cp heli, you will almost guaranteed have to do some repairs and/or parts replacement. Learning with a bigger cp heli on the other hand is a different story, like an Eolo or Logo 10, with some training gear and an experienced heli guy to help you out, you'll be hovering in no time!!

Actually, I owned a hummingbird in the past and it was a very smooth little micro indoors, it sucked in the wind though, lol. If and when I get a decent sized living room again, I will surely grab myself another micro.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:28 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are planning on flying indoors at all, a FP Piccolo or Hummingbird is the way to start. Do not start with a Picc Pro. The cost of just a few replacement blades will be more than the cost of a Picc Fun kit.
If you are serious about upgrades to 3D later, start out with separates.
The Futaba gy401 would be great on any heli. (it is heavy for micro helis unless you go to 3 cell LiPo batteries)

On, to add to the comment about fragine landing gear, hot glue makes this so much better. It stays flexible, letting the struts move rather than the brittle CA joints.