Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

melted tuned pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Crazy_Coconuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default melted tuned pipe

i melted the plastic tuned pipe that came with my Savage 25... i was running proline sand paddles and when i brought it in to shut it off, i noticed the tuned pipe fall off when i plugged the stinger... i freaked out because i had the body on and the noise just picked up a lot... anyway, i pinched the fuel line and looked at the tuned pipe... the plastic melted just where the tuned pipe meets the coupler... it melted all the way through too, not just a hole.... it was insane because i was only running the engine 230... the plastic pipe got much hotter than that... i checked the temps about 2 or three minutes after i got over the shock and to my surprise, the the pipe was 190 when the engine was 175 (f)... this happen to anyone else? i think im gonna get the ribbed pipe after this...
Old 08-10-2004, 04:44 PM
speed lives
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: melted tuned pipe

What kind of temp guage you got? I never heard of a pipe melting. You must have been running way to hot, possibly your temp guage is glitched or something. Did you let your truck cool down inbetween runs? What was the temperature outside?
Old 08-10-2004, 05:17 PM
RCSavageFan

I melted mine too. I was running around 270F. I called HPI and they said that they didn't insert "fiber glass" or something around that area while it was being produced. It was a mistake. Call them up and they will send you a new one. However, I bought the HPI Polished Pipe while waiting for the plastic pipe replacement. So, the plastic pipe is a backup now.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:26 PM
speed lives
My Feedback: (1)

interesing..
Old 08-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Wizz Kid

ya go ahead and get the ribbed tuned pipe. it is SO much better than the stock pipe. but i guess you could get a new plastic one for a back up like rcsavagefan
Old 08-10-2004, 07:27 PM
howienf

me too. my stock pipe melted and cracked up. i just replaced mine which was just hanging on with teh hpi ribbed pipe and its awesome! swheelies all over the place now!
Go for the HPI ribbed Pipe!it won't break up and its a heck of alot more power in my opinion andi t even sounds badder!
Old 08-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Crazy_Coconuts

i use the Duratrax infrared temp gun... it didnt glitch on me because i shoot 3 times (its easy to miss the center) and i got the same temp range each time... as i said earlier, 230 degrees (F)...

i dont live in the US or europe so i cant just call HPI for replacements... anyway, ill just get the ribbed pipe (which goes for 50 bucks at the lhs, but i dont really mind... )
Old 08-11-2004, 05:23 PM
sarpiparpi

dont get a new pipe jus use a straw
Old 08-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Savage-Norway

can u post some pics of your melted pipe
Old 08-12-2004, 02:33 PM
RCSavageFan

ORIGINAL: HPI Racing

interesing..
Why is it interesting? Do you work for HPI?