Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

seagull edge 540 cowling and tail bracing

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

seagull edge 540 cowling and tail bracing

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:56 AM
ramduster
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seagull edge 540 cowling and tail bracing

I just got the seagull edge 540 and the build is coming along just fine but the manual said to cut out the cowling for the cylinder head but my engine fits fine without doing this. So should I cut it out any way for cooling or just leave it the way it is and get a remote glow pulg starter. Also I have read where some are using wire bracing for the tail mine seems stiff so I would like to know if some of you are flying it with the bracing
Old 06-01-2004, 06:21 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Default RE: seagull edge 540 cowling and tail bracing

I have a OS 91 FX in my Edge 540, and only have the hole cut out large enough to get the glow starter to the glow plug. I also used 256 wire to brace the tail. Everything seems to be working fine sp far.
NEDYOB
Old 06-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Bruce Rolfe
My Feedback: (37)

Nedyob,
I have the same setup. Where did you balance yours? What prop are you using? Also what are your throws set at. Thanks
Bruce
Old 06-02-2004, 12:10 AM
ramduster
My Feedback: (2)

thanks guys any one out there flying this plane without the tail bracing.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:14 AM
nedyob

HI Bruce,
Mine CG is at 3 1/2, the throws are set at the manuals recomendation, and Im using a 13.6 APC Prop.
One thing you might want to do if yours is tail heavy is buy a 2 oz Harry Higley Heavy Hub, this made mine balance out level at 3 1/2.
Im hoping to get it in the air in a couple of weeks, we cant get to our flyimg field do to all the resent rains.
NEDYOB
Old 06-28-2004, 11:27 PM
gchild

I just took my seagull edge up this weekend. It also has a FX 91, I was following what the manual for the motor says for prop and for sport flying the smallest one they call for is a 15x8. I put a 15x8 APC on and the most RPM I can get is 8800 on a good day. The plane flies but seems short of speed and power. I thought the prop was too big so I tried a 14x8 , I only picked up 200 rpm and the performance was worse. Maybe I should use what you are using a 13x6. How many RPM do you get? What is the performance of your plane like? For a 13 inch prop OS says to use 11-13 inch pitch??
Old 06-29-2004, 06:01 AM
nedyob

This is what I did with my Edge 540. I switched props to a 14.6 APC with a Bison Pitts Muffler. I had to richen the Low Idle about an 1/8 turn. ( must have been for break in purposes)
The Edge 540 had more power at full throttle and would climb like crazy at full throttle. Most flying was done at 1/2 throttle.
I took the flying wires off the back because it was too tail heavy and add a tad more weight to the nose and balanced the plane at the thickest part of the wing. This was why I had to add the extra nose weight. The receiver & battery were moved way up front behind the tank.
I took it out last Tuesday and flew it and it flew great. It ended up snapping on me coming out of an avalanche and went into the ground. This was my fault because I added to much power after coming out of the double snap on top of the loop. The sun was straight over head and I flew threw the sun and thats right when it snapped inverted on me and went into the ground.
It was a good flying little air plane in its short life. I also lowered the dual rates on aileron & elevator.
Now I'm thinking of getting another one.
NEDYOB
Old 08-23-2004, 06:36 PM
nedyob

This in my update since my mishap with my first Seagull Edge 540.
I bought another one here on RCU with a OS 91FX installed, I put in Hitec 635 servos in the wing & tail.
I did look at the glue joint on my old wing and found that the builders didnt use alot of glue. So.. I pulled off the bottom covering on the wing and used medium CA and re-glued the spares & ribs.

I ended up balanceing it alittle tail heavy at first and it few alittle squirly, so I moved the CG back to 3 !/2 inches and did balanced it the same as I did with my first Edge 540 and it flys about the same.
I did add a pump to the OS 91FX to keep it from leaning out in flight. I also added a APC 15. 4W prop to slow the top speed down. After about 15 flights I haven't seen any tendencies where the wing or elevator seem like it wants fail.
Well thats my up to date report so far. I really like this little plane. It just needs alittle refurbishing during the building process.
NEDYOB
Old 08-23-2004, 10:39 PM
Bruce Rolfe

Well I flew my Edge 540 two weeks ago. The OS 91 FX died on the downwind leg of my landing approach. Turned to land against the landing strip and she snapped and dove straight into the ground from about 10 feet up[].
Everyone chringed[:@]. The plane BOUNCED about 3.5 to 4 feet off the gound. and landed belly up[X(].
I walked over to my plane and to my supprise only minor damage. The right wing had two broken ribs and a small hole from where the landing gear bent back into the fuse. I was amazed (so was everyone else) I had glassed the firewall inside and out with some 1oz cloth. Must be my lucky day.
My edge and I will be flying again this weekend and we hope to be doing better. I just can't seem to keep this engine running. I know it will happen soon.
Bruce
Old 08-23-2004, 11:40 PM
nedyob

Hi Bruce,
You might want to use a pump on your OS 91FX engine, I put the osolating type and haven't had a dead stike yet.
I did the same thing with my first Edge 540. I pulled too much elevator and it snaped inverted after coming out of a double avalanche. I have been flying my Edge 450 on Low Rates, and reduced the thows about 20% on elevator and 15% on Aileron.
NEDYOB
Old 08-24-2004, 04:32 PM
ChopperDude

Once I set my expo on aileron and elevator to 30-40% and moved the cg to 4" at the fuse, my edge is flying great...Bill
Old 08-24-2004, 09:53 PM
Bruce Rolfe

Thanks guys. I sure do like the look of the Edge. I am building a 90 size CG Ultimate and got a 120 FS for it.(winter project). Thanks for all your help on the Edge.
Bruce