Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Is my Battery Fully Charged ??????

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Is my Battery Fully Charged ??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 08:25 PM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my Battery Fully Charged ??????

Im using a brand new NiMh, GP3300 7 cell battery pack right now For my Corona 120 Electric Helicopter, But I'm not getting such good results! Unless maybe my Triton Charger isn't charging the Pack fully! Do you guys know the best charge setting for my Triton Charger, for a 7 Cell GP 3300 NiMh 8.4v Battery pack, I put the Triton on "NiHm AUTO Charge" for the 7 cell NiMh pack, but I feel it's not really giving it a full Charge! Flying time is way too short. When I charge the 7 Cell NiMh on the Triton Charger's "NiMh AUTO" Setting, it charges the pack for about 35 minutes, and it flies the Helicopter for only 2.5 - 3 minutes, This is a brand new battery pack, Whats Going On here ? Should'nt I get at least 10 minutes flying time? My Present Flying weight is 48.4 ounces, Is that the Problem?, I dont think so, Any Ideas?
Old 08-28-2004, 05:57 AM
rhinocat

Default RE: Is my Battery Fully Charged ??????

Is your pack worm at the end of the charge cycle? New batteries need to be cycled a few times to preform to their rated capacity. Have you done a break-in charge? The Manuel says 3300mah should be charged at 0.3A for break-in, and should take 660min. Standard charge rate is 3.3A and quick charge rate is 5.0A. You should use the Manuel rates instead of the auto. Also you may wont to buy the temp prob for your charger, I am considering this my self. I hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:00 PM
FlyingFish

My Battery is not even warm at the end of the 25 minute charge, thats why i'm thinking it's not fully charged.

660 MINUTES ??????? That's about 11 Hours.....[X(]
Old 08-28-2004, 11:57 PM
rhinocat

660 min. is just a trickle charge, you don't have to do this all of the time, but it is good to do to new packs once. Try the rates I've suggested after that. When using normal or fast charge don't stop until the pack is worm to the touch...worm NOT hot.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:02 PM
FlyingFish

Okay, Im going to use the Dicharge-to-charge then Charge-to-discharge for 2 cycles, each charge rate will be set for 660 minutes @ 0.3A , Then I'll give it a normal charge after the cycles are complete, also I'm going to dump my Fusion 7 Motor and install a new one! I gotta get at least 10 minutes of flight then!, If not, I'm putting in a Mega Motor System with Lipos.....
Old 08-29-2004, 04:18 PM
FlyingFish

I dont get what's going on here, I set it to "Discharge-to-Charge" and then it discharged the battery to a set voltage of 6.3 volts as instructed by the manual with a Discharge rate of 2.5A, It then Stopped at the end of the Discharged cycle for a 3 minute cooling off period, as instructed by the manual, Then When it started to charge again, It Then charged at 0.3A like it was supposed too, BUT THEN INSTEAD OF IT CHARGING FOR THE SET 660 MINUTES, IT STOPPED AT 210 MINUTES and Started the Discharge Cycle again!..........

Every battery I ever had, I just Charged it and Flew, I never heard of all this Charge/Discharge Crap.......[:@]
Old 08-29-2004, 08:13 PM
mattsh

Does your charger perhaps have a built in "safety" of only charging for 210 minutes at a time?

I have to say .. my stock batteries work fine.. but I got 2 new ones and I'm having the exact same issue with them.. they don't get warm... garged 3 hours on the stock charger... then I tried my peak charger and same thing.. it shuts off and says it's charged but it's not!
Old 08-29-2004, 08:54 PM
FlyingFish

Well, it does have a safety, But I set it to 660 minutes, I'm guessing that when you set the saftey timer, the battery charging cycle will shut off when the timer reaches 660 minutes or when the batteries reach full capacity, Which ever comes first! But if the battery keeps giving the charger a "faulse full" reading, then the charger shuts off to early......! And I know that the battery is not fully charged, cause it dont even get warm and my heli only flies for 3 minutes on the pack!
I ordered a new Fusion 7 motor, then im going to give the nimh pack a full charge, if that don't work, Then im scrapping the whole Stock NiMh set up and going to brushless w/Lipo batterys, THIS WHOLE NiMH Thing is a pain in the ass.....[:@]
Old 08-29-2004, 08:56 PM
mattsh

Interesting.. yeah I've (after reading this thread) left my one battery on all day (since 11am this morning)... and it's NOW warm.. (around 10pm)... I wonder if it will work? If your charger "Trickle charges" it should still continue to charge slowly even after the peak charge has been accepted
Old 08-29-2004, 09:04 PM
FlyingFish

Well let me know if it works cause im about to throw it out the window! Also, if it does work, do you have to go through this everytime you want to fly?????
Old 08-29-2004, 09:06 PM
mattsh

I wouldn't think so. My stock battery charges up fine.. it's just these confangeled 700mah batteries I got because I wanted extra batteries to fly!
Old 08-30-2004, 04:23 PM
mattsh

nope.. no go... stock battery still works great.. but no go on the after market batteries.. arg
Old 08-30-2004, 10:54 PM
rhinocat

FlyingFish,
You may have to charge and discharge it a few times in a row to get it up to full capacity, the same thing happened to me with my birdseed pack. Try this with the fast charge if you have not all ready. Also you may wont to get the temp. prob for your charger, it will charge your pack until it gets to the temp. you set, or until the charger times-out, you can get it at Helihobby for $8. I would say you have a bad cell, but if the pack it not getting warm it just leads me to believe it's not getting fully charged. Your charger may be detecting a false peek and shutting down, the probe will prevent this.