Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM Sabre

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM Sabre

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Skymac
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BVM Sabre

Have the older BVM F-86 Sabre (Kit #8000) and im going to build it as to be setup for a turbine (12Lbs engine). What areas need to be focused on as far as adding carbon fiber and other materials to beef it up. I have noticed on a few other sabres that the exhuast area right behind the speed brakes have carbon mat layed around it but is there anything else that needs to be done? Probably not going to put a by-pass in it and probably going with a Tams pipe so does anyone have any pictures or help with that aswell?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2004, 08:59 PM
S HARRIS
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: BVM Sabre

Justin, I've been flying my older version F86 for the past year. I have logged many flights on it.I'm using the bvm bypass and a AMT 180 tuned to about 15 #. The turbine upgrade kit sold by BVM had a carbon fibrer former for turbine mounting and wing bolt retainers. Also additional wing mount at the leading edge are used.I used no reinforcement in the tail area. I don't have the speed brakes either. The main thing while flying this bird is to watch the speed. I try to keep it at a moderate speed( aprox 150 mph max). If all flying surfaces are tight you shouldn't have any problems. I would recommend the gear plate stiffeners BVM sells for the mains and the aluminum nose retract rails also. If you have any more question I'll be glad to help.Scott
Old 08-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Skymac

Ok, Sounds good. It will for sure have a 12#'er in it. Only real qustion right now is the wing assembly as far as "where do you start" lol. This kit was made around 1998 or so and they do explain real good on how to start building the wing, as far a the center section is built, do you assemble both wing halfs fully then join them or join the cores first then sheet them, etc. Took while to figure out the scale flaps but got that down no just wondering where to start and how to go about building the wing.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Justin, you may want to call BVM and ask about converting your plane. I did one of these also and if I remember correctly there are also some considerations concerning the tail. I think that some were built with carbon laid in the stabs and some were not and if you have the stabs w/o then there is some modification that needs to be done to the stab for reinforcement. Check with BVM to be sure I am correct but it seems like I remember having this conversation with them.

The available conversion kit will cover everything that you need to know for the conversion so that the plane does not self destruct in the air. Gary
Old 08-22-2004, 08:47 AM
Skymac

Only other thing is fuel cells, does Gary Muller make a set for it or is anyone using other fuel cells than the BV ones? I also plan to use a tam pipe for the exhaust and wanting to stay away from the bypass, mainly due to cost.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:21 AM
KHORTON
My Feedback: (1)

Justin, Anthony and I have converted three older sabers. Mine with a 12lb and his with a P70. His was also NIB but an old verson. Mine had to be gutted and started over.
The conversion is pretty simple and straight forward. Call Patti and order the conversion kit with great instructions, new full size plans and cpnstruction photos. Follow the instructions and evrthing will work fine. We layed in some 80/20 carbon fiber in the rear section and nose section to strengthen the gear doors. Anthony also added 80/20 to the belly pan.
Be sure you strenghten the stabs by glassing with 1.4-3.0oz cloth, top and bottom.
Go ahead and order BV's belly tank and UAT. I would also strongly recommend using a full bypass. The bypass improves efficiency and protects the model in the event of flamage during startup and trust me it will happen.
Also, obviously try to keep it light, especially using a 12lb class turbine. I would eliminate gear doors.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:19 PM
Pete S-RCU

I have a chance to get an older kit also. I have a Simjet 1700 I could install, is this too heavy?
I had it in a Trim F-86 and I still have th by-pass for it. Would that work in the BVM kit?

Pete
Old 08-23-2004, 05:23 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep those awesome F-86 Sabres flying!!!
Old 08-23-2004, 07:28 PM
Skymac

We are now in the process of finding any good used parts such as the BV Durostruts or BV *or* Intarico 3 inch mains and 2 5/8 inch nose; wheels and brakes.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:34 PM
David Gladwin

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

Having put on a few more flights this last weekend on my turbine converted Sabre a few comments:
The model was converted from a DF to PST 600R power using the BVM conversion kit but I did not glass the stabs.
The PST 600R is a perfect match and gives excellent acceleration and vertical performance.
Take off is a doddle, 15 flap and hold half up elevator for perfect rotations. Flaps retracted on downwing leg, little trim change.
Rolls very smooth and axial, loops fine no snapping tendency at all. Inverted requires a gentle push, no problems. Four point and slow rolls v. straightforward. C of G as per plans.

For landing drop 15 flap downwind, then gear, full flap on finals, slight trim change, very smooth landings easy to accomplish, a delight to fly.
The old "crosswind conversion kit " led to some skin cracking on the upper wing surface above the main gear, now removed.
Duct and fuselage cold when engine running but best to remove canopy and bypass hatch during engine cooldown as a lot of heat is released. Probably the nicest scale jet I have ever flown.

Regards, David Gladwin
Old 09-07-2004, 10:19 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're not going to run a bypass.. then you MUST remove the hatch following flight to help with getting hot air out of the fuse..