Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Halcat @ mach 0.5+

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Halcat @ mach 0.5+

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 11:37 AM
BMT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halcat @ mach 0.5+

My new toy finally out the molds.
Highspeed Autonomous Low Cost Aerial Target
Stats:
All carbon/nomex composite.
2.5 m sq wing area
2 x 200N thrust
Dry weight 28kg
fuel 36 litres max
Taileron control
ABS brakes
6DOF INS
2 x Long burn flares
A lot of electronics & software

Will hopefully do up to 600kph at 20m ASL

Not available as a kit.......

Andre
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99456.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	170780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90513.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	170781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80070.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	170782  
Old 09-06-2004, 11:48 AM
tomcatman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Halcat @ mach 0.5+

I would love to have one of those!!! LOL When will she fly and can you please post video? Now, at that speed, are you using servos or some kind of hydraulic system I hope? Very nice bird!!
Old 09-06-2004, 11:55 AM
BMT

Tomcatman,
she has to fly in Sept some time, at the moment we are doing Radar sign analysis for SAM proximity fuse calibration. The staberons have 4 x JR 15kg digitals each INSIDE the stab itself with a matchbox.
Andre
Old 09-06-2004, 12:10 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wild......
Old 09-06-2004, 06:17 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Andre,
Please dont bloww up those 200's!!!!!!!
Scott
Old 09-06-2004, 08:09 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool! But, why put a fod screen if you are going to shoot those turbines down?

Rgds, Enrique
Old 09-07-2004, 12:38 AM
BMT

Enrique,
What makes you think I am going to let them shoot me down without a fight....?

Scott,
Hope all is well. Should have a few 200's soon. Also the 160KS will get a new diffusor for near 200 performance.
Will keep you posted.
Andre
Old 09-07-2004, 01:29 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sweeeeeeet!!!
Good to hear from you. This project looks awesome.
Scott
Old 09-10-2004, 08:23 PM
garrett_mcdonal

Hi Andre,

Magnificent work. I can't wait to hear how it goes. I love the close up photos. Beautiful molding work.

It's a big airframe but where do you keep all the fuel? Out in the wing panels? Also, how much flight time are you aiming for with 36 litres on board? Too bad those 200's may go up in smoke.

Regards,
Garrett
Old 09-10-2004, 09:28 PM
MAX EFFFORT

nice work Andre ,,,looks fast,,..surely that was suppose to be 3.6 litres... right.?????????????..36 seems a little much... thats 18 pop bottles, nine on each wing.... i guess its possible.... the [ flying man ] has a wing similar to that that he straps on his back .. he flew level at 120 mph for 4 minutes. he has twin turbines also,, jc,s i think..
Old 09-11-2004, 06:03 AM
BMT

Hi Garrett,
The fuel tanks take up all the space in the wings, the wings being spar and ribless honeycomb skins, altogether hollow. The tanks each side are divided in 4, each of which is devided in 4 by baffles. These feed via a fuel management system to a large "hopper" which has a float level in it to determine the fuel level/air ingestion. A series of valves and pumps keep the hopper topped up. YES 36 litres for about 30 - 40 minutes endurance depending on mission profile.
Reason for the large wing is to make most effiecient use of volume for fuel and reduce G forces at the roots. Also landing and takeoffs need no flaps due to the large wing area, reducing complexity and drag further.
Cheers
Andre
Old 09-11-2004, 10:42 AM
MAX EFFFORT

Amazing Andre, ...What type landing gear/system does it have?..retracting tricycle?,,,BMT made? ..Have you ever given thought to a parachute system for r/c jets? not so much for landing but for recovery and/or safety ..like a malfunction/ control loss failsafe?
Old 09-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BMT
Also landing and takeoffs need no flaps due to the large wing area, reducing complexity and drag further.
Cheers
Andre
Landings ? I guess you meant it when you said you didn't intend making it easy for the guys to shoot you down!

With some of the cool stuff you're doing, I'm a little sad that I left RSA - it would be great to drop by and see the cool stuf you're doing ! (As well as visit Mike Beachyhead's operation).

Gordon
Old 09-13-2004, 04:04 AM
BMT

Hi Gordon,
We do have flights from the US you know...
Daytona Kid, we are making a rather oversized set of trike gear for this. Our original flight trials for the avionics in a Hotspot told one story. Retracts are the biggest source of downtime on a heavy jet with poor retracts. The retract design is based on a BVM product of mechanical retracts produced back in the 70's which I consider to be the cleverest design around. Servo operated with complete gear door sequencing with door locks and all. Also our braking system is ABS of sorts but is fully automatic. It senses landing G's, wheel rotation speed/lockup and uses the autopilot jaw data to control left/right braking. Deceleratin and wheel speed data from the nose wheel determines braking rate. May seem overkill but turnaround time between missions is critical for us and with a takeoff weight of 60Kg (130 lbs) and landing of 30Kg minimum damage is priceless. BTW we use BVM rafeale main wheels with our own hubs and enclosed brakes with a Mig 15 main wheel for nosewheel.
Parachute recovery is something mandated by the miltary to operate from their airspace and is in fact not as simple on a jet to deploy repeatably. In our case the chute serves to put the airframe in a permanent deep stall to reduce its impact footprint. For a soft landing of say 3-5m/sec you need a pretty big chute.
Cheers
Andre
Old 09-13-2004, 06:08 AM
Gazzer

Wow!!!

Got to ask the silly question........ How much?

Would it be fair to say that at that kind of speed it is going to be more of a "point in that direction" flying test rather than "a little more left aileron would be good here" type of approach!!!

Awesome use of technology!

Gazzer
Old 09-13-2004, 07:10 AM
BMT

Gazzer,
The aiframe/mould development was done using CAD and CNC milled moulds. Was going to be "rapid prototyping" technique but took a few months and about $100K in material and time.
Strange thing about fast jets is that they really are not difficult to fly at all, its mainly visibility and orientation at great distance that is the problem. The autopilot has an easier time flying this than it does a typical highwing trainer. The big deal is landing on a small strip. Those small video links advertised here on RCU may come in handy!
AB
Old 09-13-2004, 07:19 AM
Gazzer

AB,

Hmmmmm have mental image of you sat down with a pair of Virtual reality goggles, some telemetry being input and building a flight rig with joystick and bits so it feels like the real thing!!!!!!!

you know with some modification, that "science fiction" view could be a great way of getting people to fly fast jets!!!

And that is what I like about military budgets, 100k plus the model bits like engine and so on, and you blow it all to bits and build another.

Aint no business like it!!!

Good luck, hope the parachute deploys when asked and will you get it to go to space like Spaceship 1?!!!!

It proves that this hobby of ours has much more in common with the real things than we think.

All the best with this most incredible project,

Gazzer
Old 09-13-2004, 08:35 AM
BMT

ORIGINAL: Gazzer

AB,

Hmmmmm have mental image of you sat down with a pair of Virtual reality goggles, some telemetry being input and building a flight rig with joystick and bits so it feels like the real thing!!!!!!!
We actually do have the Software interface to do exactly that already. What I need to find is a cheap set of VGA stereoscopic goggles to complete the picture......