Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Painting bodies.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 01:31 AM
aznboi133

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting bodies.

i want to buy my first bodie.. but the bodies not painted... how do i make it look as nice as some others look?
Old 09-10-2004, 11:39 PM
dubyarexessteeI

Default RE: Painting bodies.

get a prepainted one at www.hpiracing.com
Old 09-11-2004, 08:22 PM
Carnutz68
My Feedback: (1)

Check out the (Painting, Detailing & Bodies) in this forum lots on answers for your question
Old 09-11-2004, 08:47 PM
flatlander_14

to get a good paintjob with minimal skill/effort just use colors that flow well with your chassis and keep it simple.

my first 2 color body:

my second 2 color body:

both done with parma spray cans.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Losidude_2

This guy can do i but he's expensive...

www.rc-bodz.com
Old 09-12-2004, 04:50 PM
aznboi133

hmm ill take a look at this site... im really looking for a painted supra bodie....
Old 09-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Losidude_2

All you need for him to do is buy the body he'll paint it!
Old 09-13-2004, 11:42 PM
aznboi133

EXPENCIVE!!!!!

if i were to paint my own bodie what things do i need? how do i get hte decals to stick better?
Old 09-14-2004, 11:14 AM
gevs13

frist time 4 me to i have a mr4-tc custom shall i use cans or spray someone said you scach the inside first. what shall i do? [sm=confused.gif]
Old 09-14-2004, 11:57 AM
fhm101

Make sure to use paint made for lexan shells. It's more important to throughly clean the inside of the shell before painting than it is to scuff it up. Use Dawn and plenty of warm water. Get some windex and use it on your mindow masks to make them easier to get in the right spot before you stick them down. You can get precut masks from parma or XXX main. If you use these masks, windex will help with them also. If you are handy with an xacto and have some drawing ability, draw a design on the outside of your shell, mask off the inside then trim followinf the lines drew on the outside. Liquid mask is very handy for this as you can see through it so it's simpler to follw your lines. make sure all the edges of your masking is down tight When all the painting and demasking is done, use some denatured alcohol to glean the lines off the outside of your shell if it's not got an overspray shrinkwrap on it.

Once you are ready to paint. Several light coats are much better than a single heavy coat. This is especially important on the first coat. if using more than one color start with the lightest and work to the darkest if you can. It helps to have a light source you can look at through the body while painting. This will be a great help for getting even coverage. Allow plenty of drying time before demasking and keep a razor blade/xacto handy to help with mask removal.

Get a good pair of body scissors and a good hole reamer to complete the job of trimming. A dremel with a sanding drum is also helpful. If you have a tapered stone for your dremel, with care it can be used instead of a body reamer for mounting and antenna holes.

If you are new to painting and want something to practice on, get some empty 2 or 3 liter clear plastic bottles and cut them in half lengthwise. These will offer an excellent way to paractice painting techniques and design ideas without risking your shell.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:48 PM
spareanychange

i vote get a body, think about what you want, sketch it if u need 2, then mask it out well, take ur time and it will turn out great, if u get a hpi body like mine you get an advise slip 2 n e way
Old 09-14-2004, 02:35 PM
flatlander_14

if you are that uncertain about painting a body, go to your lhs and ask them for some advise. ask if you can watch someone paint a customer's body or talk to anyone in the hobbyshop who's painted a body as well.

on another note, i'd happily paint something SIMPLE for you for free. i dont have an airbrush yet, but have picked up some handy info on getting nice effects from spray cans. i could do a simple fade for you for free. just pay shipping both ways + $5 per color ill be needing(parma spray cans) and when im done ill send you the painted body and what's left in the cans back do you. i wont have your car on hand so i couldn't cut it so maybe take it to your lhs and have them do it or try it yourself. just giving you an option.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:17 AM
aznboi133

ahahah i went the other day to my LHS and the car section guy was out for lunch GRRR!!! so i just left LOL the hobby shop doesnt sell a supra body anyways