Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Scale-like hinge line?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Scale-like hinge line?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 04:51 PM
Mooney231DX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale-like hinge line?

Has anyone tried hinging ailerons using a method similar to the technique described in the link below?

http://www.pilotsguide.com/rc/hinges.shtml

I don't want to use a "tube".
I thought I could simply round the LE of my aileron and some contoured balsa to the top and bottom of TE.

Any experience? Advice?

Thanks in advance...

Ladd
Old 08-04-2002, 06:58 PM
Mike James

Default Hinges

That's pretty much the standard way to install Robart hinge points on a scale ship. It works great if you'll take the time to get a precise fit.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:18 PM
Mooney231DX

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. This is a sport-scale bird but I want to practice some scale techniques.

I have followed your (and Paul's) project on the King Air. When you get around to kitting it I hope to be in a position ($$$) to go for one. I love civi aircraft. Paul had sent me some photos of his 182 around 6-months ago. That is my next project and I hope to go full bore as Paul has done. (probably not as successful as Paul, but I'm learning. )

I also book-marked your CAD tutorial middle of last month. Another avenue of education for me soon.

Thanks again,

Ladd
Old 08-06-2002, 12:03 AM
Mike James

Thanks Ladd!

The King Air is coming along nicely. We'll be using a similar hinging process on it, for the ailerons, elevator, and rudder, because that's how the actual aircraft is hinged. I just received a new balsa order, and so you'll start to see almost daily updates again, at http://www.nextcraft.com/b200_construction02.html

On my personal version, I've decided to use electric power. (I don't think Paul has selected his engines yet.) Since the entire airframe will be molded composites, adapting it for either glow or electric is a simple matter of altering the weight of the composites and changing a few internal parts. I've created a new article which will show the twin electric power selection and setup process, at http://www.nextcraft.com/electric_intro.html

Thanks to Paul's artistry, this kit will really be awesome. We'll make kits available at the end of the testing process next spring. Part of the design process includes organizing the parts so that this 1/6th scale beauty can be sent in standard size boxes, thus avoiding "oversize" charges.

I've attached a recent image of the progress on the plugs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20231_2519.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	12632