Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Chrome Monokote...help!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Chrome Monokote...help!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 10:55 AM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Monokote...help!!!!!!!!!

I need to use chrome monokote and go around a compund curve. But the thing I've noticed is that the Chrome Monokote wont heat shrink very well.
Anyone use this and have any suggestions or is there a different brand if chrome shrink covering that works better???
Thanks
Tom
Old 08-06-2002, 01:03 PM
NCC-1701

Try Chrome Ultracote. Much better behaved than Monokote.

You're not the only one whose had trouble with chrome Monokote. It's the worst behaved of the line.
Old 08-06-2002, 01:09 PM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful not to heat it too much or stretch it too much, it will discolor. Work it real slow around curved and cross you're fingers. Sometimes I can get it around curves real nice and sometimes, well, not so nice.

Ben
Old 08-06-2002, 02:12 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Default Chrome Monokote

You will probably have to resort to some "panel-lines" or a piecemeal application. If done with a plan it doesn't look too bad.

Hey NCC-1701, would you describe with some detail how to curve ultrakote around compound curves. I have yet to try it, but have not had good luck using a hot iron or heat gun. I know Ultrakote does not take the heat as well as Mono..and you are supposed to have a lower heat setting. Any more specific tips. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:42 PM
rcpilotsteve-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

I used aluminium Ultrakote on my Warbird. Did not experience any difficulties. I'm just starting on the wing now. Is the chrome much shinier than the aluminium???
Old 08-06-2002, 09:18 PM
NCC-1701

GarySS,

Here is my trick to applying Ultracote around compound cruves. I bought a pair of cheap white cotton gloves. I used to have a terrible time with both Monokote and Ultracote on compound curves. I couldn't get the stuff to stay down for nothing! I melted it to slag and burned my self a couple of times.

Then one day it dawned on em that the reason the stuff wasn't adhering was because of skin oil! So, I reasoned that if I wear gloves, I won't get oil on the airframe or the covering material. I gave it a try and my problems were cured!

Rob
Old 08-07-2002, 01:41 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Default Curving Ultrakote

Hey NCC-1701: Many Thanks!