Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Monokote help

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Monokote help

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 04:46 PM
gemini-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote help

Hi I have been trying to put monokote over monokote with out bubbles but have no luck.Has anyone used monokote trim solvent or does anyone have any tips on how they do it.Thanks gemini
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20416_4071.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	12955  
Old 08-07-2002, 06:10 PM
lenough

Default Monokote help

Spray the area you want to cover with either windex or soapy water. Lay the monokote over that.

Next squeegee out the liquid with something like a playing card.

Let it sit for 24 hours and then iron it down.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:52 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Monokote help

I have used MonoKote Trim Solvent, and although I do not like MonoKote, I must say that this is one feature that they have over other coverings. The stuff works really good.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:59 PM
gemini-RCU

Default monokote

Thanks I don't know which tip to try I will probabley try the windex first as we have no local hobby shop the solvent would have to be mail orderd but I have windex.Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20434_4071.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	12956  
Old 08-07-2002, 07:35 PM
BingoFlyer

Default Monokote help

I have used the Windex method and it works, however, I like to use the following method it saves weight and there is NO possibility of bubbles!

I make what i refer to as a skin. Starting the light color cut 3/16" larger that pattern (for overlap) and if a wing large enough to work on the edge side. Using a spray bottle with a little detergent wet the glass and place film on the glass, squeegee water out. Then place the next color in place using the same spray mixture and a 3/16" overlap again squeegee water out, then, using your sealing iron set as hot as you can without shrinking the film, seal the edges together. I continue until I have all colors and a complete skin. The skin can then be put on as a single piece of film.

Using this method save weight and prevents bubbles from trapped air between the covering if you just apply trim over the covering base.

This sounds much harder that it is but practice first on some scrap.

The transparent Orange on my "Bingo" was laid on first and then the white. Many think that I painted the white!
Old 08-09-2002, 11:15 AM
Giant Scale

Default Monokote help

gemini,
You can use acetone to activate the adhesive on monokote. I used reagent grade but the type you get at home depot should work fine.