Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Pressure fitting placement

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Pressure fitting placement

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 08:19 AM
flyerdarren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressure fitting placement

Just got a Slimline sport scale muffler and I need to put a pressure fitting on it. just wondering if anybody could lend some advice on the best place to tap it in to get the correct back pressure for the tank. Thanks

Engine is a O.S. .46 FX ( in case it matters)
Old 09-28-2004, 10:29 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pressure fitting placement

On a pitts style muffler I try to put the pressure tap centered between the exhaust pipes so the exhaust pressure going to the tap is balanced. This, however, is not always possible (or practical ). Locate the tap so you not only have access to it, but so the tubing will be routed so it is not resting against the muffler, motor mount or engine (heat and vibration will wear through it ).

Another possibility you may want to consider is to put the pressure tap in the center of the backplate of the engine instead. If you decide to go this route, I suggest cleaning the backplate well, installing the pressure tap and JB Weld it to the OUTSIDE of the backplate. When the JB Weld is cured, grind the pressure tap so it is flush with the inside of the backplate to insure the crank will not hit it.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:32 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tap the fattest part of the muffler. It doesn't matter where on that part, as long as it's somewhere on that fat part. (red area)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80810.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	177676  
Old 09-28-2004, 10:40 AM
flyerdarren

Thanks for the info,

Minnflyer, Where do you get all those awesome pics?
Old 10-04-2004, 12:28 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Minnflyer is a paintshop master as well as my hero

Personally I would try to get it directly across from the header as I would assume the pressure would hit there first, but chances are anywhere in the red section would eventually get the same pressure it's not that important. Perhaps underneath where you can almost hide the exhaust line (if you can get away with that...)