Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Whats up with Jack Devine Models? (NWHT)

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Whats up with Jack Devine Models? (NWHT)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 09:20 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whats up with Jack Devine Models? (NWHT)

I hate to start this but back near the beginning of August I called him up. Was very interested in a specific plane and he said not to send money until it was ready to ship. Would take him a couple weeks to get one together. Thats the last I heard of him. I made the effort and I do not feel I need to hassle him over this. He has my phone number and email. If you want to sell a kit, some effort should be made on his part too.

Now I really wanted this kit but hey, customer service you know? I recently blew it off and purchased something else. Along with this is ignoring many requests for a simple hi to a friend of mine who has darn near every kit ever made by NWHT and could promote the heck out of them. Looks to me like this is going down the same dead end road as when it was NWHT. Totally unreliable. Comments?[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 09-27-2004, 09:36 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Whats up with Jack Devine Models? (NWHT)

Comments?

Well, I have gotten alot of emails and calls from guys with the same problem, it took me about a year, and alot of work to get my f8f bearcat from him..Besides that it was not built that well. At least you didnt pay for it like the me and the others out there have!
Old 09-27-2004, 11:54 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't be too tough on the guy. NWHT is not his bread and butter so he gets to it when time is available. No money has changed hands so you are not out anything.

There are many small businesses offering fine products and services in this hobby but everyone is impatient and want Horizon or Tower's immediate shipment and customer service.

My decal business falls in this catagory so sometimes I turn down or loose orders because I can't produce a custom set right now! For that reason I don't accept payment in advance either and trust the buyers will pay upon receipt of the decals and invoice. Have been doing this for five years now and it has paid for my toys. Have only been ripped for less than a $100.00 total for a set of Marine's Dream Corsair decals.

My bread and butter is a desktop publishing business where people have short deadlines. Just like many modelers, they take months to do their part then want my part done yesterday. Believe me when I say I make more in one days digital preparation work than ten doing decals.

Those customers who work with me on the production times receive a top notch custom job using high quality materials.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:03 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack has kind of wound the business down untill he has it in good shape. He is working on some new designs and plans get it back up after some refinements. He told me that it will be low key until he retires from his full time job.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:28 AM
fwman1
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I often frequent RCSCALEBUILDER.COM and you will find his support to his customers is exceptional, at least on that site. There are several fellows there who know him personally and vouch for his character. Dick T and TLH101 have pegged it right.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Scalenut-RCU

I ordered three P40 kits from him last month and got them within two weeks. DHL had damaged two of the fuselages and Jack replaced them within two weeks. I can not complain, he has worked hard to take care of my order and we have never met, so it was not a favor to a friend. I do know he is full time as a college professor, so the model business is back burner, but he has done what he promised for me. I would say that if you only called him once, then another "sqweaky wheel" probably got his attention. I really think he is not in a hurry to get much busines and does not want to get overloaded with orders. I stayed in frequent contact with him while he was getting my order together and got what I wanted.

These are great kits and my FW190 is a blast to fly.

Forest
Old 09-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Pierac

I've been building one of Jacks Zeros for the past several months and he has always been available by phone. I call him about once a month with questions because I'm new to the hobby. I mostly rely on the help from his forum on RCSB. Considering he works full time during the day and picks up a evening class during the week. I think he is doing pretty well. If you want a kit I'm sure he would be happy to provide you with one but you probably will have to call him more than once. He's also trying to juggle a family life too. I believe he is retiring from teaching next summer and will have more time for his new company. Jack has made many improvements to these kits to make them more scale in appearance. They are very strong and light and I plan on building more. Just keep calling and get your kit. You will be glad you did. Paul
Old 09-29-2004, 04:12 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Jack is top notch. because he may be low key now, doesnt mean he isnt
around. he has been busy fulfilling his obligations with work, and than the
JDM business.

funny how this thread always pops up now and again
Old 10-03-2004, 04:29 AM
Vmax57

I have also followed many much of Jacks advice to customers on RCSB on almost a daily basis and have always been very impressed with him. He provides extraordinary advice and support on building rarely seen from other companys. I am looking forward to building one of his models in the near future.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Asanders

I have to add my comments here now... I have followed the comments about NWHT and then when Jack Devine had taken over.. I have been slow to order anything because of the comments.. but it came down to me wanting a certain airplane and he was the only one who had anything like it... I emailed him and he wrote me right back... I talked with him by phone and went ahead and ordered the plane... I couldnt believe how quickly I received the plane.. and all the hardware needed to build this thing was included.. I for one am a happy customer and plan on buying again from him... I hope he can make it work. I like the product !
Old 10-11-2004, 05:03 PM
snyder_man
My Feedback: (52)

Well guys here is my story with Jack and it's not pretty. I contracted with Jack to build me a FW 190 two years ago. I bought the kit from NWHT. Jack picked up the kit from Carl and had it framed in about 2 months.

He sent me pictures to show me it all framed up.

I sent Jack a brand new G45, muffler, throttle linkage, retracts, pilot, glue, horns, all the stuff to get the plane finished. Then the excuses started coming even after he bought the business. Now he won't even bother to return my emails or my phone calls. I told him to send me the plane in what ever state of completion it currently is and I'll finish it myself. He won't even do that. He won't even send me my engine and retracts back minus the airplane.

That my friends, is your Jack Devine, owner of the business.

snyder_man