Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hole in firewall of UltraStick60

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hole in firewall of UltraStick60

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 02:12 PM
Zman-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hole in firewall of UltraStick60

Hi All,
I am using a Saito 1.00 on my ultra stick 60 and need to know what I can use to plug hole on the firewall where fuel lines come out. Because the carb is right near this hole, I am getting a little fuel/oil in there. Silicone? or close hole up with wood? other ideas?
Thanks
Mike
Old 08-10-2002, 04:00 PM
Pud
My Feedback: (3)

Mike,
I used a little silicone in the hole , seems to work fine.
I did not use the factory tank, thus the hole was open.
You could also make a little wood cover to glue over it(fuel proof it!)
Several ways to do it, make it easy on yourself!
Pud
Old 08-10-2002, 04:15 PM
FastLaneAK

I made a balsa plate, drilled two holes for the fuel lines, and then covered it with ultracote and then siliconed it into place so i could remove it if neccesary.

Lane
Old 08-10-2002, 04:19 PM
Zman-RCU

I didnt use the included tank as well which is why I had the problem. I wasnt sure if silicone is fuelproof or not which is one reason I asked.
Thanks for help
Old 08-10-2002, 05:01 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Something wrong with the tank? I ask because last night I used Silicon to glue the SUPPLIED tank in place.

I will be using the Saito .91, which has its breather nipple pointing directly AT that tank opening. Might just have to route some fuel tubing down and away from the firewall...but not too long, because last time I did that the engine didn't like it!

On a 4" extension on the Saito .72's breather, the engine wouldn't run worth a toot - took it off during a test run and BINGO! Ran great!!!!

Jerry
Old 08-10-2002, 05:07 PM
Zman-RCU

Jerry,
I didnt use the supplied tank simply because I had a Dubro 16oz handy. This Saito 1.00 is sucking the fuel right now so figured I would give it a little more juice to satisfy its thurst.
I have nothing but good luck with Dubro tanks in all my planes and a bad tank sure can lead to headaches in future. Not saying supplies tank is bad,, mine is still in packaging.
Mike
Old 08-10-2002, 05:17 PM
tailskid

Saito 100 Thursty????? How could that be

I ONCE had a Saito 180 - 5 to 6 flights PER GALLON!!!! Needless to say I no longer own it!

Flying the Saito 100 on an H9 P-51 (420 cc tank)...by taking it easy on the throttle, I can easily get a 10-12 minute flight with fuel to spare....now a US60 would be an entirely different matter

Jerry
Old 08-10-2002, 09:00 PM
Flying Scotsman

Default Breather Tube

Originally posted by tailskid

On a 4" extension on the Saito .72's breather, the engine wouldn't run worth a toot - took it off during a test run and BINGO! Ran great!!!!

Jerry
On my Saito 72 which, incidentally powers my US 40, is an eight inch piece of fuel tubing fixed to the breather nipple then routed down to the landing gear on the opposite side....she runs beautifully!

Happy Flying!
Flying Scotsman
Old 08-11-2002, 01:53 AM
Lee Belew
My Feedback: (2)

Default Hole in Ultra stick 60

I machined a wooden dowel down to fit the hole tightly. Installed the dowel in the hole and Super glued it in the hole. I used the ca to also seal the dowel inside and out. I still have a small piece of the dowell laying on my work bench send me your address and I will mail it to you.
Lee
Old 08-11-2002, 03:18 AM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Default Tank....

My supplied tank on the .60 and the .40 both broke. I don't use H9 supplied tanks any more.....

I'm running the 1.00 in mine with a 4 inch piece of tubing on the breather nipple.....no problems so far......

I've had the 1.20 size US with a 1.60 and a G-23......a US .40 with a OS .70 and now the US .60 with the Saito 1.00......the US .60 with the 1.00 is by far the best US combo made.......IMHO.

Pug
Old 08-11-2002, 11:44 AM
lynngordon

Tailskid - Is it possible the breather tube was plugged on your .72? Maybe bent somewhere enough to close it off? I use a tube on the breather outlet of all 16 of my Saito engines, anywhere from 4" to 12" in length without any problems with their performance. And yes, I've run with and without with no change in performance - but with is a whole lot cleaner airplane!
Old 08-11-2002, 07:20 PM
HRay

Default Closing Off The Hole

Hmmmm. I always think, gosh, there's gotta be an easy way. What I would try is slipping a couple of pieces of soda straw(look around at the fast food restaurants. Some have the larger size), and slide over the fuel tubing down into the hole. Then take a small piece of foam rubber, wrapped in saran wrap if you want, and finish filling up the hole. The soda straw pieces will keep the fuel tubing from being crushed unless you really put the muscle to it.
BTW, I use pieces of fuel tubing 6-8 inches long for the crankcase vent with no problem. I've got such a tube on my Saito 180 and have left the hole open on my US120. I believe that contributes to the nice whistling sound when I dive it.
Good luck!
Mike
Old 08-11-2002, 10:27 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default Re: Closing Off The Hole

Originally posted by HRay
I believe that contributes to the nice whistling sound when I dive it.
That's the source.

My US .40 makes the same whistle during dives, as I've left the hole in the firewall open. It hasn't been necessary to close it 'cause my YS .63 doesn't have a breather nipple
Old 08-12-2002, 02:31 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, I use pieces of fuel tubing 6-8 inches long for the crankcase vent with no problem
The crankcase vent is the only area I can think of that would leak fuel close to the firewall and a piec of fuel tubing vented down takes care of that. (BTW, I drilled a hole in the motor mount to slip the fuel tubing in and direct it down.)

My supplied tank on the .60 and the .40 both broke. I don't use H9 supplied tanks any more.....
I had the same problem with my US 60 -- used a dubro 16oz.

the US .60 with the 1.00 is by far the best US combo made.......IMHO
IMHO also and I have had 4 US 120s.

I can easily get a 10-12 minute flight with fuel to spare....now a US60 would be an entirely different matter
No, you should get that easily from the Saito FA-100 after you have adjust the lowspeed needle grossly lean from the factory setting -- after proper breakin period.

This Saito 1.00 is sucking the fuel right now so figured I would give it a little more juice to satisfy its thurst.
Patience, it will get much better after a good breakin and adjustment of the low speed needle -- mine took over 2 turns lean from initial factory settting.

Something wrong with the tank?
Most definitely -- think Hanger 9 fould a cheap fuel tank manufacturer. When I went to put the stopper in it it split right at the mouth of the tank.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:02 AM
tailskid

Hummmm, I'm going to have to do some more 'research' concerning that breather nipple and fuel line extentions. I haven't played with the .91 yet as it was in a Citabria (MW) for so long I couldn't remember WHAT I had under the cowl

Jerry
Old 08-13-2002, 11:03 AM
F.Ciccarello
My Feedback: (60)

Default FIREWALL HOLE

MIKE JUST PLUG THE HOLE AND FLY............FRANK C.