Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Giles 202/G26

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Giles 202/G26

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 04:24 PM
hubbajer
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Giles 202/G26

Has anyone flown a G26 on the Great planes Giles 202 1/4 scale? I have been considering trying it. What total weght did you come out to? I'm not interested in 3d, just decent flying capabilities.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: GP Giles 202/G26

The G26 will fly the plane very well based on your post. It will not 3D but will do the IMAC Sportsman pattern with ease.

I flew a Hangar 9 Cap232 (Chapman scheme) for two years with a G23. It weighed 13.5 pounds and flew with authority. It takes 4-5 gallons of gas through a Zenoah to develop full power and that is a lot of flying! At first power will seem marginal but as the engine breaks in and you move up in prop sizes the performance will continually improve. At the end, my G23 turned a 17X8 APC close to 8500 RPM on Amsoil 50:1, about gallon ten.

Locals thought it a dog until it hit it's stride the second season. When I sold the airframe about a dozen guys who were critics at first wanted to buy the engine. The G26 is stronger right out of the box so it will do fine. Watch the overall weight and you should enjoy it.

You will hear a lot of negative about Zenoahs being heavy and making little power. Not so if you have the patience to allow a good break in and don't give a hoot about 3D. Plus it will still be running strong long after the "lighter, more power" engines have been overhauled at least once.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:24 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

hubbajer,
You might want to do a search on this site for the GP 202 before you commit to the G-26. I had a GP 202 with an OS 1.60FX which weighs a little over 2 lbs. This plane really needs to be kept light in my opinion. It needed to come in hot for landing or she'd stall on you. The other issue was that she would snap even with the recommended low rate elevator. If you read the other threads about this plane, I think you will find some of these issues confirmed. My 202 is no longer but the engine and electronics are in the GP Extra 300s which is a much more relaxing flyer. Like Dick said "watch your weight". Good luck.

marty
Old 10-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Tailspin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Afterburner. The GP G-202 is prone to tip-stall and increasing the wing loading is only going to make it worse. I fly mine with a Saito 1.50 and it performs well for sport- flying type aerobatics but not 3-D stuff. Pull too much elevator and it will snap, slow too much and it will drop a wing when landing. Typical behaviour for a Giles 202 when they get too heavy.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:21 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree, do a search on the Giles, you need to keep the weight down!

The 1.60fx seems to be the optimal choice for this plane. I have one and its a handfull. Keeping it light has helped tremendously. Once its set up right its a keeper.

good luck

matt
Old 10-13-2004, 02:55 PM
serge1
My Feedback: (1)

160 Fx is the way to go in the giles.

Serge
Old 10-13-2004, 03:33 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all due respect to Dick, my GP Giles 202 was a handfull at 12.25 lbs and an OS 160 in the nose. I wouldn't want to fly it with LESS power and 1.25lbs MORE weight. And, no I didn't crash mine, it was sold after 2 seasons and about 100 flights. Yes it did perform precision IMAC rather well, but don't ever get slow and nose-high on final or it will roll right over on it back and come in.

I knew this so always came in a touch hot and wheel landed it to make sure the airspeed was high enough, but a friend of mine who is an experienced pattern flyer lost his when he tried to bring it in like he's used to doing on his lightly loaded pattern planes, and whack! Before he knew it, it was in 2 broken pieces on the ground.

IMO of all the several 1/4 scale Caps, Extras, Edges, Sukhois that I've flown (or test flown for others) over the last 5 years, this was by far the most unforgiving airplane.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:13 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree here too, that's why I said to watch the weight. This particular airplane seems to get a wide range of reported characterisitcs, from nasty snapping on final to floating in like a butterfly. Not sure why but suspect weight vs. CG vs. control throw have a lot to do with it.

Locally, one had a Moki 1.8 which snapped on second landing, destroying it. Owner didn't know the weight but did have control throws far greater then recommended. The other had an FPE 2.4 gasser. It would slow to a walk, even dragging the tail wheel first on landing. Both were box stock 202's. The gasser weighed 13 pounds. However the elevator travel was less then recommended. Both said the CG was set per instructions.

Go figure!
Old 10-13-2004, 05:04 PM
hubbajer
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks for the Info guys; It really sounds like this plane with a G26 Is beyond my meager flying abilities. I'm old and slow, so I will look at other options. I like the G26 and want something a little better looking than a stick or 4*120. Both of which I have and like. BUT... ( snaps and high landing speeds I don't care for)