Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

VectorFlight Edge 540 Engine Dilema

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

VectorFlight Edge 540 Engine Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 06:59 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VectorFlight Edge 540 Engine Dilema

I just ordered me a new Edge 540 66" from VectorFlight after reading all the great things about their Planes, and Service here on RCU. Couldn't hardly find one bad post about them on RCU, and that is rare on here. Anyhow the Plane calls for a .90-1.20 size 4 stroke engine, and I have read most post on here about engine setups for the VectorFlight. Everyone seems to lean towards a Saito 1.00-1.20 or the YS 1.10-1.40. My delima is that I am fond of the Magnum 4 Strokes, and I have had my eye on buying a new 1.20 Magnum for this Plane, but I don't think I have read where anyone has this particular combo. So I am just curious if there is anyone who has this setup, or if anyone has just cause why I should buy the Saito 1.00 instead, which is my second choice at this point. The YS is not an option at all for me. Nothing wrong with them........I just don't have it in the budget for this project. I admit that the Magnums don't sound quite as good as the Saitos, but the Magnum 52 4-Stroke I have on one of my 40 size Planes runs like a champ, and has been super dependable, and the price savings by going Magnum is more than just a couple bucks in savings that can be put towards other projects. I would just like to get a few opinions on this.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VectorFlight Edge 540 Engine Dilema

I looked at several powerplant options, much like yourself. However, I came to a somewhat different conclusion than you seem to lean toward. I went for the Saito 120 as my choice of engines. My reason for this? Well, I decided that since the engine is the most important part of the plane, I would go all out on it for power, reliability, and (this is why I didn't choose YS) ease of use. I don't want to start anything on dissing other makes. I just chose Saito based on what I read on RCU and what I got from word of mouth at the local field. I just finished my Edge this evening and it's BEAUTIFUL! I mounted the engine inverted with a homemade onboard glow driver idea I got from RCU and Geistware's webstie (shameless plus for a great website[:-]). I am looking forward to the maiden flight this weekend. Too bad it's only Monday![&:]
Old 10-18-2004, 07:45 PM
ckangaroo70

Thanks for the info. How about a photo of that new edge? Always good to get a few good pictures before a maiden flight! I'm not wishing you bad luck. It's just that Maiden Flights don't always turn out like we invision sometimes. Good luck with yours though. Also come back and let me now how the Saito 1.20 performed on your Plane. I am interested to know how it does with the 1.20 Saito.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:34 PM
Primodus

ck, I'll get those pics posted ASAP.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:29 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: Primodus

ck, I'll get those pics posted ASAP.
Sounds Great! I can drool over your pics while waiting on my edge to reach my doorstep. I am 34 years old, and everytime I wait on a Plane to reach my doorstep, I feel like I am 5 years old, and its three days till Christmas. OOOOOHHHHHHHHHH The Torment!
Old 10-18-2004, 09:36 PM
Primodus

Just wait til you get it finished and the local weather forecast has you under thunderstorms and high wind for the next three days![:'(]
Old 10-18-2004, 09:45 PM
ckangaroo70

I have a neat trick for making the winds calm. Go sit in your lawnchair in the pits at the Flying Field, and make no sudden moves towards your Plane or Radio. This always calms the wind! If you want to make the wind Blow again, just grab your Radio, and start your Plane, then walk towards the runway! I guarentee this will make the wind pick up! Unless of course this only works for me...............which I hope not.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:10 AM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Hey... Listen to Primodus, He's a very good man and knows what he's doing.
Im in the same boat as you.. I just ordered my edge and im waiting. I did go just under the 1.20 and got me the saito 100. I just couldn't afford the extra money for the 1.20. Ive been brought up with the very common saying. You get what you pay for. Magnums are pretty good engines but in the long run you may have to rebuild when the saito is running strong. Ive been living with saitos all my life and I depend on them greatly. My old saito 56 has almost 10 gallons of fuel through it and still runs likes it new. Only had to adjust the valves once.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:09 AM
vtx1800

Actually I had read a post from vectorflight saying they do not reccomend a 120 on that plane ( it may have been on their website). The plane can take it but mine is fine with a 91. Good luck, it will be a good flier in either case.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:59 AM
aaron2874

I use the Saito 100 on mine. It's the finest plane I have and that engine makes it scream! The 120 seems like a little power overkill to me, but nothing wrong with that. Here is a pic of mine. Also, let me say that this pic was taken right after I crashed it. I was running to lean and the vent line melted off of the muffler nipple. Lost pressure in the tank and killed the engine. The plane was about 50 feet up so I barely had enough time to get the nose up before it slammed into the ground. I broke the spinner, cowl, and tore out the landing gear. Nothing else. It's almost back together after just a few hours work. I think that says a lot about the quality and durability of the VF Edge. Also, I put the engine on my test stand and it runs just as good as when I first got it. Saito's are really good engines. [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78836.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	184171  
Old 10-19-2004, 07:40 AM
Primodus

Several good points in the last few posts....

1. Yes, I am a good man, but I sometimes wonder what I am doing LOL (Thanks for the vote of confidence rcfury[8D])

2. vtx1800, I agree that the 120 might be overkill for this plane given the weight and power it puts out. I did however talk to VF and they gave me recommendations for mods to help the Edge handle the extra horses.

3. aaron.. that's a smooth recover you did there. Hope you get it back in the air soon.

IMHO, so long as you go with a powerplant on the upper end of the recommended scale, your going to end up with a great flying plane. Underpowering this type of bird would be cruel and unusual punishement.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:47 AM
Primodus

Also, here are the pictures I promised. I had to stand in with one to give a size reference. (I am 5' 11")

Name:	Db85335.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	184195   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45460.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	184196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv52972.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	184197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57600.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	184198  
Old 10-19-2004, 10:51 AM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

I had the 66 inch extra and flew it with several different engines on it. I tried the magnun 91 4 stroke first and it flew the plane great. You will not have ulimimted vertical with it but it will haul the plane straight up pretty good. I then tried a Saito 100 and it had more power but it didn't really fly the plane any better. I then tried a Thunder Tiger 91 and this was the engine I liked the best. It will turn the same size prop at the same RPM as the Saito 100. It runs alot smoother than the saito too. All of the saito engines that I own all
vibrate alot at idle. The magnum and TT are both smoother running engines. The only draw back to the TT engine is that it weighs about 3 oz more than the saito. If you compare quality they are about the same IMO. The TT engine is built really beefy and has a large cylinder and head. That is where the extra weight comes from. I have never had any trouble from it either. It always starts and runs very good. I have about 300 flights on it now and have only had to adjust the valves once. The price is also quite a bit less than the saito. The TT engine is also built much nicer than the Magnum. Try one I bet you will be very happy with it. I like all of my 4 stroke engines but bang for the buck I would buy another Thunder Tiger.

Rick
Old 10-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Primodus

Just weighed after balancing...AUW=9 lbs dead on...this is with the Saito 120 and 3/4oz lead on the tail for balance.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:42 PM
ckangaroo70

Great Pics Primodus. That is a Super looking Plane. Thanks also for planting yourself in one of the photos. It really helps a person get a better perspective on the size of the Plane. Really hard for me to judge actual size sometimes when a Plane is sitting by itself in a photo. Well, I went with the Saito 1.00. I ordered it today, and hopfully it shows up at about the same time my Plane does. I figured by going the middle of the road on engine would be a pretty safe way to go. Not weak, but not something to pull the Plane in half. I had originally at the beginning planned on using an O.S 91 Surpass on this Plane, but after much thought, I abandoned that idea. Then my next idea was the Magnum 1.20 4Stroke since I have had good luck with the Magnums. Then after reading alot of post, and seeing photos of how nice the Plane looks, I thought what the heck.............spend the couple extra bucks, and treat the Plane to an equally impressive engine. So Saito 1.00 it is! I did not get the Golden Knight however, which I think looks neat, but I do have a Sukoi SU-31 hanging in the Garage with a Saito 72 Golden Knight, so at least I can say I have one.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:07 PM
ckangaroo70

I have a couple other questions maybe you folks can help with. What size Aluminum Spinner looks best on the VectorFlight Edge 540, and what is the width of the landing gear from Pant to Pant? I set some of my Planes on a Rack that you can see by the Photos, but if the gear is to wide, then the Plane will not rest on the rack, and will have to be hung from the ceiling.

Name:	Ca80854.jpg
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	184453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59637.jpg
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	184454  
Old 10-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Primodus

2-3/4" spinner perfect fit

landing gear are close to 18" wide from inside pant to pant
Old 10-19-2004, 09:07 PM
ckangaroo70

Thanks for info. Just curious to what prop you used also. I am thinking either 15X4 or 16X4 APC Wide would be a good match for the Saito 1.00 on the edge for some trick flying, and maybe a 15X6 APC for sport. I know that yours is the 1.20, and is in a different prop range, but I was just curious to what you used?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:30 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: trroscoe

I had the 66 inch extra and flew it with several different engines on it. I tried the magnun 91 4 stroke first and it flew the plane great. You will not have ulimimted vertical with it but it will haul the plane straight up pretty good. I then tried a Saito 100 and it had more power but it didn't really fly the plane any better. I then tried a Thunder Tiger 91 and this was the engine I liked the best. It will turn the same size prop at the same RPM as the Saito 100. It runs alot smoother than the saito too. All of the saito engines that I own all
vibrate alot at idle. The magnum and TT are both smoother running engines. The only draw back to the TT engine is that it weighs about 3 oz more than the saito. If you compare quality they are about the same IMO. The TT engine is built really beefy and has a large cylinder and head. That is where the extra weight comes from. I have never had any trouble from it either. It always starts and runs very good. I have about 300 flights on it now and have only had to adjust the valves once. The price is also quite a bit less than the saito. The TT engine is also built much nicer than the Magnum. Try one I bet you will be very happy with it. I like all of my 4 stroke engines but bang for the buck I would buy another Thunder Tiger.

Rick
I would have no trouble ever buying a Thunder Tiger 4-Stroke to try. I just wished they had one a little bigger than the .91. when I was debating on an engine to use for this project. The price is very attractive on the Thunder Tiger 4 Strokes, and if they are near as reliable as the Thunder Tiger 2 strokes, then I am sure they are fine engines.

I also like the Magnums. I have a little Magnum 52 Four Stroke that runs just absolutely fantastic. I debated on buying a Magnum for this project, but I didn't want to go as small as the .91, and didn't want to go all out on the 1.20.

The YS 1.10 was an idea also, but only price steered me clear of the that idea. I also have a Saito 72GK, which is a nice engine. I am most impressed with the Magnum though. I am not saying it is better than the Saito. What impresses me is the quality of the engine for the price. The saying "You spend less, you get less" don't always ring true in my book. The 1.00 Saito just struck me as a good mid-range engine for this Plane, and for a mid-range pilot.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Primodus

I am starting with a 15x8MAS and moving to a 16x6W APC after I get a few flights under my belt. I mainly want to do IMAC style flying, but I am not adverse to trying a little 3D with enough altitude for recovery.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:23 PM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

You will be happy with the performance you get out of the Saito 100. I have one on a world models velox and it has unlimited vertical and flies very good. I use a 14x7 or 15x4W if I can find them. My extra with the TT 91 flew just as good as the velox with the saito 100. The TT may only be a 91 but it will turn the same prop at the same rpm as the Saito 100. This engine really likes a 14x6 or 14x4W APC prop the best. I have tested them several times and so have alot of other people on RCU. Believe me this is true. The TT 91 is also the smoothest running 4 stroke that I own. it will idle down real low and does not shake the plane when at idle. The throttle response is great also. The TT takes longer to break in than all the rest but once it does it is real sweet. Most people don't give the engine enough breakin and expect to much right out of the box. It takes around 3 gallons of fuel to get them where they are producing really great power. I have around 300+ flights on mine and it runs really strong. I wouldn't trade it for anything else in that size. I also forgot to mention the OS 91 I also have one of these too. I have it on a H9 ultra stik 60 and it performs great too. It is not as strong as the TT but runs very good andnever gives me any trouble. The only time the TT has deadsticked on me is when I am having too much fun and run it out of fuel. I have done this a few times. I still think that the best bang for the buck in this size of engine is the TT. If you like the quality of the Magnum take a look at the TT it is much nicer. I have both and the TT is just built better IMO. Don't get me wrong I love the magnum and it has performed very nice on my 4*60. I have around 200 flights on it with no problems.

Rick

Name:	Vt57743.jpg
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	184576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83650.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	184577  
Old 10-20-2004, 05:33 AM
kroflite54
My Feedback: (5)

I will be putting a os 91 surpass 2 on mine .should be starting it in about 2 weeks .have a few others to finish first.

ken