Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

J'Tec Radiowave 40% edge questions

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

J'Tec Radiowave 40% edge questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 10:56 AM
vypr
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J'Tec Radiowave 40% edge questions

I'm currently in the market for my first 40% aircraft. I've been marketplace hopping looking for a used carden edge for a while now and they are all either unappealing or overpriced... I also want to cover it myself if possible. I just discovered J'tec's site and am looking at their 40% edge... http://www.jtecrc.com/edge.htm Its cheap, availible in ARC form and looks real pretty, now where is the catch?

EDIT: Just caleed J'tec radiowave and talked with their guy who was happy to tell me the straight and skinny about waht they have done with this plane. As the first shipment hits the US mid November I dont think anyone will have flown one yet, except for Jason Shulman and if he is reading this I hope he replys . So, aside that nobody has flown this one yet, anyone able to compare their other products to give me a baseline for quality and performance? Advertised weight is awesome, are they a little fragile at that weight? Is anything about the construction sub standard, as in, what am I going to have to redo personally to get one of these birds to be a quality performing aircraft?

It sure would be nice to save a lot of cash over a prebuilt carden, and not having to worry about how good a builder someone else is would be nice too.

-Ian
Old 10-09-2004, 08:30 AM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: J'Tec Radiowave 40% edge questions

You may wish to check out the Patrick 40% 540..I think the pirce is the same as the J'tec. The quality is very good on the DP and the plane fly's very well. We have one in our club approaching 200 flights. No issues so far..
Old 10-09-2004, 08:43 AM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Here's how it goes...The Jtec Edge 540 is mainly for just 3D! Not very godo a IMAC...My friend told me he was at the Joe NAll and Jason ddin't like the way it flew IMAC but then again it's an Edge. The JTEC Extra is awesome and I have seen one fly many times by an extremely good pilot! IT is very light on the sticks so he says. Now, I just got a DP Edge 540T and have 3 flights on it! It is extremely light on the sticks and can fly IMAC. Dave PAtrick is the patern/IMAC guys so he designed the Edge to be like so! IT does upright inverted harriers with ease, rolling harriers inside and out left and right EASILY! And the knife edege is very good. Locks into torque rolls with little stick inputs and Does the wall upright and inverted very easily!

Later

Dan
Old 10-09-2004, 03:21 PM
extratorker
My Feedback: (8)

I was right there with Jason when he flew the Edge, and his exact words were "for an Edge it flew great". He is not a big fan of Edge's. There is no way to say one way or the other whether the airplane is good at IMAC flying,since there is only 2 prototypes that are flying right now. I flew the plane for a good 5 minutes and felt it drew nice,precise lines. It feels very much like a Carden,except a little lighter on the sticks.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:36 PM
vypr

Uggh... the problem with the Dave Patric is a couple fold for me. I hate long canopies... if I was going to get something that looked like that I'd just bite the bullet and go extra 330. Also, I HATE the color scheme on that aircraft. I want to cover my next one myself, another reason for the radiowave, and do the perfect scheme. Besides the canopy I just cant really get to like the way the DP edge 540T is proportioned... it just throws me off.

That said I'm sure that it flys great

I think I am going to go with the radiowave Edge, though I may get a set of extra wings for it to do IMAC with and call it an Extra 260.

-Ian

BTW, dont stop the input, I appreciate all!
Old 10-09-2004, 05:27 PM
ChixwithTrix
My Feedback: (8)

Does anybody know if the finalized version of the edge will have "normal" edge looking horizontal stabs? I saw the picture on the site and it looked as if the leading edges of the horizontal stabs were strait...?
Old 10-09-2004, 08:55 PM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Chix- Spoke with Al at the Masters last weekend and he indicated that the production version of the Edge will not have the straight leading edge.

Plane looked great- Really nice deal priced at $1299 at the time- you could probably still get it for that price until first delivery- check with Radiowave to be sure.

Dave Michael
Old 10-10-2004, 02:32 AM
bwick

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know a J'tec 40% extra is my dream plane... They're very light on the sticks and draw great precise lines I hear....
Old 10-19-2004, 04:06 AM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tis true...and Edge is an Edge. They will all 3D well, but try doing a long rolling maneuver or a rolling circle and strap yourself in, you're going for a ride. I don't know why, but they ALL wander. The J'TEC Edge was very light feeling and flying. Did everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. How it compares....well, it's an Edge, only lighter.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:02 AM
Whymee
My Feedback: (13)

I too have been looking for a 40% areobat. Called DP and chatted with the lady there. Lets justsay she didn't impress me. Plus I too dont like the scheme on the DP Edge.

I wandered in on this post and checked out Radiowave's web pages. Their Edge is IMPRESSIVE at 34 pounds. I can hardly believe that it wouldn't break in half on a hard landing. (joking)

Been looking at their Extra also. I called them with a bunch of questions. Got an answering machine that stated that they were going to be out of the office until Oct. 26th. Guess I will have to wait till then to chat with them.

Whymee
Old 10-21-2004, 07:50 AM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

Im sure they are at the Big Arizona Shootout...it starts today.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:49 PM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Never heard of any quality or flying issues with the JTec planes. If I was in the market for a 40% that is the route I would go. Buy with confidence and let us know how it flys!
Old 10-21-2004, 12:50 PM
vypr

Mmmm, seeing as it is an introductory price, I need to get my order in before they go to a NON-intoductory price! I think that I have decided on the j'tec after all, having seen some more pictures elsewhere I'm impressed sufficiently to get one.

-Ian
Old 10-21-2004, 02:17 PM
lewdfinger

I know this thread is about the Edge, but if quality and customer service are your concern I wouldn't worry. I got my 40% Extra last week and I'm very pleased. Cowl is dead-on perfect and covering was excellent aside from some wrinkles at the wingtips. Motor box comes pre-built and is set up for a DA or 3W-150, fuse is really easy to modify for canisters. Everything fits. Only caveat is the long stringers on the belly and the turtledeck - hafta be careful how you grab them, but I knew that already.

Al Young always answers the phone personally, and has answered all my emails within 24 hours - usally less. If the Edge is anything like the Extra it will be a fantastic value.

BTW I see Gerald Neel is flying a Radiowave Extra at the Tucson Aerobatic Shootout this weekend. Can't wait for some vids.

KD