Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Monokote trim on uneven surfaces

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Monokote trim on uneven surfaces

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 11:56 AM
Killer_Matt
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote trim on uneven surfaces

I am covering my 4*40, I am planning on using 4 wedge shaped stripes starting from the center at the leading edge and fanning out to the wing tip and trailing edge of the alerons.

I was planning to try a Technique I read about on this site. Spray on some windex, squeeze ut the excess with a credit card or old wiper blade let dry overnite then use a small brush to whick some trim seal arount all the edges. The problem I forsee is the uneven surface of the wing created by shrinking the original covering over the ribs. Do you think this will be a problem, could I shrink the stripes after the trim seal sets????

Thanks Killer_Matt

PS I realy like reading all the posts on this site!!
Old 08-12-2002, 01:17 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What I would do is to cover the wing completely, then add the stripes by dipping them into the trim solvent and putting them in place ala squeegie method. Otherwise there's no bond in the middle of the stripes. The trim solvent won't shrink the trim, so the original covering won't have any deformity.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:24 PM
kougarII

Have you thought about doing it as a single piece? Cut out the four wedges with a 1/4 inch excess on one side. Lay out the pieces on piece of glass with the 1/4 inch overlap. Seam them together with a trim iron on low heat. Then apply the whole thing as a single piece ov covering. When you shrink to fit, just protect the seams from high heat. I use a piece of cardboard over the seam when using a heat gun. Use low heat on a trim iron to touch up the seams.

I know it sounds daunting, but it is easier than it sounds. I tried this on my first covering job with great success. I just finished covering a wing with the same knid of design you described with this technique. The uneven surface can be a real problem when trying to lay one colorover another, depending on the specific design.

Harr Higley's book "Tom's Techniques" is where I learned this. I have also seen some articles on the net. Good Luck either way
Old 08-12-2002, 04:55 PM
Killer_Matt

I have already covered the wings with red, so doing it as a single piece on glass is not an option this time.

Has anyone tried to lay large pieces over the leading edge of a wing without sheeting, if so what were you results?

I am going to try my first stripes tonight, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:15 PM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

Curious to hear your results as I am in the same dilemma. I've decided (so far) to keep the wedges on or behind the 2nd spar to avoid the unevenness around the front of the ribs.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:34 AM
Killer_Matt

Last night I tried a test piece along the leading edge on the top of the wing, well it didn't lay well at all so I took it off. I now plan to move the design back 1 to 2" from the leading edge.

I started to put 2" checks on the bottom of the wing, I ran into the same problem at the front of the wing. I have put down 3 2" squares along the front of the wing and had to iron them where they were not laying flat. To be honest the ones I ironed look like S**T, and I only touched them with the iron where I needed to shrink them. Tonight I will try a combination of cutting a slit in the square so I won't need to shrink as much.

The the squares I put down that are not on the leading edge came out great.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:31 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Next time, use Ultracote. It will solve many of those problems because it shrinks MUCH better than MK.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:23 AM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

I'm all set now for the four-star 60 wing trim. I picked up some Ultracote Plus and Ultracote:

Plus Bright Yellow
Plus Smoke Lavender
Plus Deep Red
True Red
Fluorescent Violet
Fluorescent Blue

Let's see if I can figger out somethin' purty with these here colors to go on top of White Monokote... Too bad they didn't have the last 3 in plus.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:59 PM
Killer_Matt

I finished my check pattern on the bottom of the wing, I had great results with all the squares. My squares are 2" and start .5" from the leading edge, in order to get them to lay flat over the ribs just behind the leading edge I lined up the square, marked the location of the rib and cut a slit about .8" long this allowed the square to lay flat over the uneven rib area. The square actually is a little narrow at the front because the material overlaps ~ .050 or so at the slit.

+-------+---------+
| | |
| | |
| . |
| |
| |
| |
+------------------+
Matt