Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Problems with Break-In

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 08:47 PM
shawalka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with Break-In

I have run 4 tanks of gas through my Savage SS so far, 2 of idling, and 2 of slow driving. I am running into a little problem with the engine temps. At the factory settings, the motor was getting up to almost 280, so I richened it up (about 5.5-6 turns out right now), and it is still running hot. I would like ot have the temps down to about 240, but it seems no matter how much i richen the mixture, it still gets too hot. Even at the very rich settings, it is getting up to 275. What can I do to get the temps lower? The truck is blowing out plenty of smoke (enough to leave oily trails on the road under acceleration), and the ambient temps were around 75 degrees, so it wasn't a hot day either. Any ideas?
PS The assumption that 275 is too hot is based of the manual, which show the max safe operating temperature as 275.
The only mod to the truck engine-wise is a motor saver filter.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:24 PM
Hacksaw
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Problems with Break-In

Hope I can help w/ this one. I just broke in a new RTT. (Ready To Tune) Do a search on the internet for factory carb settings and break'in for your truck. The manual that comes w/ the truck is misleading and incomplete. IMHO! Ready to run is a misconception! Be prepared to learn the joy's of RC Monster truck's, by trial and error. It's all part of the FUN! Seriously---Anyway -- Unless you are very familiar with a Nitro Motor, find someone who is, and learn from them. (Take a deep breath, and , read the manual)
Old 10-18-2004, 10:58 PM
shawalka

?? I'm aware of the factory carb settings, and I have the HSN set richer than that. The cooling head is on securely, so I don't see any reason the motor would get so hot. This is a Savage SS, not the RTR Savage 25. The SS is a kit. I won't say I'm anywhere near an expert on Nitro Engines, but I don't consider myself a noob either. Anyone with some ideas?
Old 10-19-2004, 01:02 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

try sealing your enegine could be some air leaks
Old 10-19-2004, 01:13 PM
Frost_

ORIGINAL: badboy2

try sealing your enegine could be some air leaks
EXACTLY.

This engine is NOTORIOUSLY FAMOUS for LEAKS. ANYONE who buys this RTR should do the research.... you STILL need to pull the motor and seal the carb and backplate BEFORE it is EVER started...
Old 10-24-2004, 12:57 PM
Ryanrodfl6363lu

make sure that u cut out holes in your body. i cut my entire windsheil out, and it seemed to drop temp pretty good. but savy25s like the 300 range!
Old 10-24-2004, 01:43 PM
fs454

I dont see a need to seal my S-25 engine...15 tanks through and it's fine. Not ALL of the engines have the problem i guess.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:00 AM
neb

im not very impressed with the engine, ive just run my savage in, the engine flooded so i took the glow plug out and turned the engine over, i went to put the glow plug back in and there was a thread of metal sitting above the opening
Old 10-25-2004, 07:26 AM
Frost_

ORIGINAL: fs454

I dont see a need to seal my S-25 engine...15 tanks through and it's fine. Not ALL of the engines have the problem i guess.
Well, not all of them rattle loose within 15 tanks... it is a half-gallon for some.

THough you are right, not ALL of them have this problem....