Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

shipping planes in a box

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 04:35 PM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default shipping planes in a box

What do you think would be the best why and cheapest to ship a box around 68x18x18 and 72x21x9? UPS is sure not the way to go....around hundred dollars to ship.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:38 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: shipping planes in a box

Try Greyhoud bus.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:42 PM
jpmcclary
My Feedback: (6)

I shipped a JET to denver via UPS 18X18X72" LOTS of foam and peanuts. Arrived perfect. If my memory serves me correct $87.00 US...Get a DOUBLE WALL carton from UPS ....$23.00.I think...Jim
Old 10-31-2004, 07:14 PM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

Greyhound It's cheap and fast. I've shipped 2 80" planes with them and few smaller ones, the big ones cost around $50 on their standard service. Priority service is faster sometimes, but I've never used it.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:46 PM
Aerohead
My Feedback: (37)

ORIGINAL: computermonkey
UPS is sure not the way to go....around hundred dollars to ship.

Not to mention that UPS bashes the crap out of the packages at every opportunity.[>:]
Old 10-31-2004, 07:54 PM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Like to hear more on this, i shipped a GP Patty once greyhound and it got beat up, i still feel bad for olamonbruce.

David
Old 10-31-2004, 10:08 PM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

I have shipped probably around 11 or 12 planes via Greyhound. I have never had any major damage and in most cases the boxes look untouched. The only drawback with them is their package tracing system is basically nonexistant. I sold a plane on ebay one time and it just disappeared. The Greyhound clerk forgot to fill in the declared value on the form so I only got the $100 that is insured on every package. I did pay the buyer back, so I lost my ***** on that one. Not sure what happened to that one, but they are so inexpensive and careful with their packages I still use them. UPS is the absolute worst I have ever seen as far as damage. They could tear up a chunk of lead.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:57 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Bryant330L, I have shipped a few and always use Greyhound if I can. UPS is a huge conveyor belt operation that just tosses stuff everywhere. they don't have time or the setup to get you there in one piece, if fragile. I think the reason Greyhound seems to work better is that it is just a couple of guys putting your box in the bottom of the bus with nothing stacked on it. It then drives off cross country until it gets to you. Much more personal, hands-on service.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:50 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

UPS SUCKS

I sold a plane to a guy in New York. I put the plane in a WOODEN BOX for Christs sake- and it arrived at his door in about 30 pieces. Thank God I insured it for $500. It was only a $300 plane, so the guy made out on the shipping claim- but he was dissapointed. He bought my plane because he didn't have time to build. Not to mention they charged me $123 to ship a 46" wingspan biplane.

I sent another plane UPS. It was an 80" plane that was framed up. Call it an ARC. Everything was framed, but no tail was glued on and the wings were on a plug in tube- -so they were under 40" long. I built a wooden box with 1"x2" frame and then sheeted the whole thing with 1/8" birch plywood. I used 2" deck screws and liquid nails for everything. It was filled solid with peanuts and every piece of the airplane was first wrapped in 2 layers of bubble wrap. Needless to say the airplane was VERY WELL packed,and the box could've withstood a nuclear bomb.

They broke the SH*T out of it. Again, thank God for insurance.

Greyhound is my favorite. I've sent 3 planes with Greyhound. All were BIG planes. All arrived in perfect condition.

Here's the key to undamaged planes:

Build a wooden box/crate for the plane
Wrap EVERYTHING in bubble wrap
Fill the box with styrofoam peanuts
Use 2" thick styrofoam to support everything. And glue it in with Liquid nails and 1"x2" wood
Nothing should touch the sides or bottom/top of the box.
Everything should be supported with 2" foam.
All 2" foam should go from top of box to bottom of box. This will transfer any hits or blows all the way through the box from one side to the other. Or from top to bottom. It will not transfer hits or impacts into the plane.
Get some flourescent ORANGE paint in a shake n' shoot can and paint the following all over the box:

On the bottom: BOTTOM This Side down
On the top: TOP This Side UP FRAGILE AIRCRAFT PARTS
On the sides: FRAGILE AIRCRAFT PARTS-------and draw an aorrow indicating which way is up

Paint the heck out of it with the words "FRAGILE AIRCRAFT PARTS" and "TOP" and "UP" with arrows.

Attatch a rope handle to each end and both sides. Just drill a 1/2 " hole in 2 places about 7" apart and run a rope thorugh it. Put a knot in both ends and you got a nice handle for it. The guys on the loading dock like this a lot, because---think about it-- an 80"x36"x24" wooden box/crate ain't exactly easy to handle. Put a handle on each end and maybe 2 handles on each side.

The cool thing about Greyhound is that once your box gets loaded, it stays right there untill it reaches it's destination. It only gets loaded onto 1 bus and it rides there for the entire trip. Much cheaper than UPS.

UPS- they sling your box around and it hits the floor 568 times and rides in 18 different trucks before it gets to you. Morons, that couldn't care less.

Fedex?? Not unless you got lots of money for the shipping. They wanted $300+ to ship that little 46" biplane. They are really expensive. Probably not much better than UPS when it comes to smashing your stuff either. Same principle applies. They load your box onto a million different trucks and transfer it all around the country before it ever reaches it's destination.

Greyhound is the way to go. BUY THE INSURANCE!! For the price of a plane-- insurance is cheap.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21835.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	188905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90518.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	188906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24873.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	188907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13466.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	188908  
Old 11-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Rcpilot

more pics:

Name:	Rp44898.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	188914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93969.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	188915   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27169.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	188916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15498.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	188917  
Old 11-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Rcpilot

more pics:

Name:	Ig13359.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	188920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17561.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	188921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88567.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	188922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25628.jpg
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	188923  
Old 11-01-2004, 04:20 PM
Rcpilot

The pics in my previous posts give a good idea of how to build the box and pack the plane.

You have to continue using 2" foam ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP OF THE BOX. This is how it will transfer impacts/hits thourgh the box and not into the plane.

Liquid nails inbetween EVERY layer of 2" foam. They make Liquid nails specifically for styrofoam. You need this particular type becasue it's specially formulated NOT to MELT FOAM. It works just fine on the box too.

2" deck screws on the 1"x2" frame and 1/8" box sheeting.

Liquid nails on the framing and sheeting on the box.

On this particular box, I sent it Forward Air Freight. I had to attatch a 4"x4" on the bottom of the box. I had to put a 4x4 on each end so that it could be picked up with a forklift.

On that box, I wrote "TOP LOAD ONLY" on the box. That way-- it will get loaded on the top of the rest of the stuff in the back of the semi-truck. Not on the bottom, where it can get crushed.

After you get the box built, start cutting the foam with a standard steak knife. Use the liquid nails to attatch the foam to the sides and bottom of the crate. Use 1"x2" wood to sandwich the foam down. Screw the 1"x2" with deck screws-- through the sides of the box. That'll hold it from sliding around and keep the foam compressed into the spot where you want it-- so the liquid nails can dry.

After the box is built and the plane is encased in 2" foam, then you can fill the whole thing up with styrofoam peanuts. Screw the lid on-- but DON'T use liquid nails on the lid/top of the box.

You'll want to tell the guy on the recieving end to take a cordless drill and a #2 phillips bit with him to inspect it BEFORE he signs for it. Since you didn't use liqud nails on the top of the box-- he can unscrew it in about 5 minutes and inspect the plane before he hauls it home or signs for it.

Hope this helps out. Forward Air delivered this particular plane in perfect condition. The box was 4'x8'x36"-- yup 4ft. X 8ft. X 36inches. It cost me $129 to ship with forward air and insure it. It weighed 78 pounds.