Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Texas Hurricane with Q42?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 10:56 AM
acobra
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas Hurricane with Q42?

Hi All:
I have a good running Quadra Q42 and an looking for a large plane to sport fly, no 3D stuff. I have been thinking of a Krangke Texas Hurricane. What do you guys think?
Frank
Old 11-16-2004, 01:25 PM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Texas Hurricane with Q42?

I have one with a Poulan 46 on it. It has plenty of power and will 3D. It's pretty light 15.25 lbs dry. I think the Q42 would fly it ok. Send me an e-mail for details on the improvements I made, and set-up.
Z
Old 11-16-2004, 11:24 PM
bentgear

Z, why not list all the improvements here for everyones benifit.

Ed M.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:32 AM
jbflier

I have a Zenoah G-38 on mine.........The Hurricane is a great flying plane and you'll have fun with yours too.............
Old 11-17-2004, 08:18 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

I used a GP "Patty Wagstaff" Extra 300 canopy to replace the cheesy one that came with the kit. It makes the plane look more like the "real" TX Hurricane. I added some basswood triangle stock to the engine box. I changed the aileron servo mounting to fix an alignment problem. I added some 1/8" red pinstripes, like the original plane had. You can see my plane in my gallery at the bottome of this post. One last thing. Be sure to check the factory solder joints on flying wires. I found 2 that were cold soldered and came apart before I could get them mounted.
Z
Old 11-17-2004, 09:27 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

RIP my Hurricane

It was a good flying plane, but I felt the ailerons were a little too small and I didn't really like the hinging (replaced all hinges with steel-pin hinges). I had the same happen with the pre-soldered hardware, so I wound up replacing all the hardware with Rocket City. I also used small oak dowels to pin the firewall and landing gear, and I fiberglassed the firewall. I modified the cowl mounting system to make it easier... I put blind-nuts in the fuse for the bottom two screw and tighted the screws from the front through the cut-out for the motor. You will need to secure the cowl to the mounting plate with screws if you have to cut out the bottom of it like I did. The glue starts to let the cowl peel away from the mounting plate after a little while.

If you really and truly don't want to do 3D (due to motor, not airplane), look at the Wildhare line of airplanes. I love mine. All the surfaces are sized correctly and my EXTRA SPECIAL flies very smoothly and more precisely than the Hurricane did. I also prefer the simplicity of not having any flying wires and the durability of foam wings. I'm not sure about the thrust of the Q42... the plane will probably weigh around 17 lbs (mine does), so you'll have to think about that.