Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

US 40 -- Aileron only or with flaps ?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

US 40 -- Aileron only or with flaps ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 02:41 AM
KrazyKen
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US 40 -- Aileron only or with flaps ?

I'm not sure whether to build it with flaps or not.

I have a Hitec Flash 5 computer radio. With only 5 channels, flaps are either on or off. My latest idea is to make it aileron only and then convert it to flaps later if I ever get another radio. This would make it lighter (two fewer servos) and give it a better roll response. It will be powered by a 46SX.

But if it's easier to land with flaps, then maybe I should go with flaps from the start. This is my second plane and it will be my first tail dragger.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-19-2002, 09:07 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Hey KrazyKen

You will not need the flaps to land this plane, but It Is a lot of fun to fly this plane with crow!

Good luck

Heres my 120 US

Doug
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	22068_576.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	13909  
Old 08-19-2002, 10:39 AM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my maiden flight with mine last evening. My second plane/first tail dragger to. I set mine up with just the 2 alerions. I have the Flash 5 as well.But I do have the alerions working as flaperions. But you wont need them. The plane comes in just like my Avistar. Super smooth. , but on high rates which I flipped on only for a second..Look Out........it will spin so fast you cant count them. Even on low rates the plane spins quick.Much faster than a trainer. I really like the plane myself. I have mine powered my a TT 46 pro. I plan on hitting the flap switch next time out and see what happens. Good luck with yours. JT
Old 08-19-2002, 01:21 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

My philosophy is to build it with flaps, regardless of whether the plane really needs it or not. It typically only costs a couple of servos and a little extra time. If I don't use the flaps right away, I can always mix them out. Or, mix them in such that the flaps and ailerons act in combination as strip ailerons. Either way, you can first fly the plane like the flaps weren't there.

However, if you only have a 5ch TX with limited mixing capability, I don't think it'll be worth the exercize to get only ON-OFF flaps. May be this will be an incentivet to upgrade TX? Quad flaps are a barrel of fun.