Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

cleaning carbon buildups

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 02:28 PM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning carbon buildups

Has anyone used decarbonizing sprays like amsoil power foam to remove carbon deposits ?
My piston has a buildup of black goo on it and I would like to clean it, looking for suggestions.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: cleaning carbon buildups

I took my piston and rod to a local race car shop for tips on how to remove/replace the bearing. He told me to use a rotary tool with a fine wire brush to remove the carbon. It worked great and my engine runs fantastic. I'm not sure if this is standard procedure, but it worked for me. Also, after cleaning the carbon off the top of the piston, it exposed a little arrow that let me know which way the piston goes back in. I'm sure the experts out there have other techniques that might be better.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:12 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I take the engine apart and spray Loctite Chisel Gasket Remover on the piston and combustion chamber. Let it soak over night to soften up the carbon and scrape it away. In general you don't want to use anything harder than wood for a scraper so you don't damage the soft aluminum. Loctite Chisel is a chlorinated solvent like Z-best engine cleaner or Demon cleaner.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:00 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are several products out to "decarbon" a 2 stroke engine. Look in any marine store or any auto parts store. Napa has a few products they sell in their store too. They have worked well for me (RC and boat).
Old 11-11-2004, 03:45 PM
rstearman
My Feedback: (185)

Engine shops use hot tanks to losing up the carbon before final cleaning. For small engines you can make your own hot tank. Take your wife's crock pot out of the kitchen when see not looking, and take it to the garage. Fill it with anti freeze, throw your parts in, cook the parts for 24hrs. After 24hrs remove the parts and brush off the loss stuff, and if its not completely clean, cook for another 12-24hrs. You will be amazed with the out come, also works well on burnt on cartrol oil.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:42 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

WARNING: Do not ever use the crock pot for food again!

ORIGINAL: rstearman

Engine shops use hot tanks to losing up the carbon before final cleaning. For small engines you can make your own hot tank. Take your wife's crock pot out of the kitchen when see not looking, and take it to the garage. Fill it with anti freeze, throw your parts in, cook the parts for 24hrs. After 24hrs remove the parts and brush off the loss stuff, and if its not completely clean, cook for another 12-24hrs. You will be amazed with the out come, also works well on burnt on cartrol oil.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:11 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have heard about the spray decarbonizer but never knew anyone who used it on AIRCOOLED engines.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:57 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use it on my trimmer, blower and edger (all 2 strokers) every fall before I winterize them. I also do my plane engines once a year as well.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:50 AM
jimjel

Use Cool Power Blue synthetic 2 stroke oil and you won't have any carbon buildup in your gas motor. I run 8 oz of Cool Power per gal/ of gas in my boats. My motors are modified Zenoahs that turn between 17k and 18k rpm and haven't had a motor failure yet.

Jim
Old 11-19-2004, 02:03 PM
LenAlessi
My Feedback: (1)

If it's "gooey" as opposed to hard and baked-on, get some "Dissolve It" - a citrus based cleaner available at most stores like WalMart, etc. It will literally dissolve all the black goop instantly - will even free up the rings and clean out ring groves.

If the carbon is baked on, then you need to go to plan B.

Len
Old 11-19-2004, 03:13 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

8 oz/gallon. WOW thats 16:1 gas oil mixture.

ORIGINAL: jimjel

Use Cool Power Blue synthetic 2 stroke oil and you won't have any carbon buildup in your gas motor. I run 8 oz of Cool Power per gal/ of gas in my boats. My motors are modified Zenoahs that turn between 17k and 18k rpm and haven't had a motor failure yet.

Jim