Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

best trouble free 50cc engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 12:10 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: best trouble free 50cc engine

I think you have the wrong title for this poll. It should be select the most popular 50cc engine. I voted for the 50 Fuji because it is the only one I have experience with and it run quite well and is very dependable.

7700rpm, Bolley 20x10 on a GP Christen Eagle II
Old 11-11-2004, 02:29 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Briggs and Stratton, hands down .
Old 11-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The whole premise is false..If I bought a Brand X engine 15 years ago and it always ran good, never dead sticked, and is still running, it's the "Best" 50 cc engine..It could very well happen with a Quadra 50, the first 50 ever sold for modelers..No longer made, but still one of the best ever..It's now a 52, hardly advertised, still a very good engine...
There's no way to determine which is the "best" 50cc engine, most are not even true 50ccs...Where does the "50cc class" start and end ? 42 ? 45 ? 52 ? 55 ? The 58 MVVS will blow the other "50cc class" engines away..What time period should be used ? 1 year ? 5 years ? 10 years ?
This is a popularity contest, nothing else...I applaud Brison, they made a silk purse from a sow's ear
Old 11-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ralph,

I tend to have to agree with you. Most of the 50cc gassers are being used by entry level gas flyers. Not all, but I would venture most. Of those entry level flyers, the 50cc class will be the only gas engine they have had any direct experience with. There's nothing wrong at all with being at the entry level stage, everyone starts somewhere, but the first good running gasser someone has is bound to prejudice the mind set a little. BTW, for all the gas first timers out there, welcome to the club. You like as not will end up a little reluctant to go back to glow power unless you are into small plane racing.

You're dead on about Gary Allison, too. Taking the old A&M and turning it into the very reliable little powerhouse Brison 3.2 was quite a feat. The same holds true with all his other singles. Better yet, he's now shipping more engines a week than he ever has. This means he's finally been able to get by some of the old personal things he had to deal with and better yet, he now has the capital available to establish a parts inventory to let him maintain production. I love it when the underdog finally gets to stand up and roar!![8D]

Pat
Old 11-11-2004, 10:44 PM
jschenck
My Feedback: (23)

Can anyone describe the difference between the Fox lineup and the others? I'm inclined to buy Fox to support an American manufacture. Though, I'm under the impression that Fox gas engines are re-branded Brison.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Tired Old Man

You're not far off the mark. Not far at all. You'll pay more for the Fox, though.

The difference will mostly be in the design and manufacture of the crank. How that goes together matters A LOT. The carb, barrel, and ignition will be, for all intents and purposes, the same. Likely the piston and rod, too. Case machining tolerances will be different, tho.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:29 AM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

I own a 3W-75USi. So I am not that new to gas. But I know brissons have been around since I have been flying 6years are so.

So if I go with a brisson 3.2. all I have seen are the ones in pictures that have the bell crank set up to advance the time. I just found out. That brisson also makes 1 with what I read (electronic timing device.) I guess thats a electronic ignition. Natually I will go with the one with electronic ign.

But back on the DA-50 I though everybody was loving theirs. I have read nothing but good things about the Da-50. But I was talking to a guy last weekend at a flying about a 28%plane he bought. I asked him your going to run a DA-50? He said He&% No. he was either going to run brison 3.2 or BME 50. All he told me was knew 3 differant people at his club that had Da-50 and they were constantly having problems w/ front bearings, and a few other things I don't remember.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:38 PM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

I would recommend yo go Brison , i have run them for 6 years plus they have been around for close to 15 years , anyway i would recommend the throttle coupled ign, it still uses the C/H module but timing is control with linkage hooked into your throttle. It has smoother transition in midrange and overall my favorite . I have both and like them both but i preferr the throttle coupled advance with comes standard on Brisons. But good luck on getting ahold of a 3.2 you will most likely have to go on a waiting list but it is well worth it.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Tired Old Man

BTW, Brison is also Amercan made. As is DA, BME, Fox, and Taurus.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:26 PM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

Pat thanks again for your info on setting up the extra . Bruce
Old 11-16-2004, 10:37 AM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

I am currently building a 28% plane to compete in IMAC basic and sportsman and after much reseach on this issue chose a DA 50. I recently attended the Tucson aerobatic shootout and talked to alot of the pilots that were flying in the competetion about which engine to get. Without a doubt the most suggested engine was the DA with the ZDZ comming in second. I have some experience with gassers and everyone I know that has a DA has had no problems with them. I live in Tucson so the DA was also the most logical choice as thier company is located here. I really like the Brison line and was seriously considering the 3.2 also. I will be purchasing a brison 2.4 for my 1/4 scale ultimate soon. The DA cost more than the brison and that was a big factor in really looking at this engine. I think that bang for the buck the brison is the clear winner. I just went with the DA because of the customer support that I can get from them here in Tucson. DA has been very helpful in the setup of my engine and plane.

Rick
Old 11-16-2004, 08:37 PM
jschenck

I don't own a DA-50, I do fly a 38cc [link=http://www.bennettbuilt.com]Bennet conversion[/link] so I do have a little experience with gas burners. One of the fellow at my local flying field is running a DA-50 in a Wild Hare Edge. He is a very meticulous engine owner who carefully broke in his engine. One of the crankshaft main bearings came apart in the engine. DA was very good about repairing the engine as he got a virtually new engine back - but - the failure did happen. I am under the impression that this is aknown issue with the DA-50's. I think that DA has recognized the problem and corrected whatever issue they were having, so new DA-50's should be good. You might want to ask DA about this or research it a bit before making your final buying decision.

What about 3W? Not too many mentions of their line of engines, yet they have some big names behind them (Queque Somenzini).
Old 11-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

I've got a DA-50 in my 28% Wild Hare Edge. Broke it in per DA specs. A little over 7 1/2 gallons through it and the needle bearing in the rod where it hooks to the crank went out. I sent it in because of the knocking noise, just as a precaution, glad I did. No charge and it's on it's way back. Very good customer service. But for reliability, my opinion is still not made up on the DA. I ran 70 gallons through a G-62 and never the first problem. The DA-50 is just as strong as the G-62 and smoother, but I wondered about the longevity of it from the beginning. Cut the weight down that much, something is going to give......... We'll see if they get the bugs worked out of it before my 2 year warranty is up.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:42 AM
jschenck

Now that you mention it, that is what happened to the DA-50 I mentioned in the previous post. Other people standing around noticed it was starting to knock harder and harder. I think he had 3-4 gallons through it.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:34 AM
buchtes
My Feedback: (7)

thanks to all that replied, I have gathered a wealth of info on the subject, looks like I'll be going with Brison to get my feet wet with Gasser's. Why not DA?, well, if it is so damn good an engine, why does it like to trash the bearings and why has DA not solved the problem? I don't want to loose a $ 1800 ACFT because of a $10.00 Bearing. Than again, this raises the question of Lubrication, why do some Guy's run these engines with such a low content of oil, as 100 to 1, that is 1% oil, nowhere enough to properly lube all joints and bearing, in my way of thinking, 50 to 1 is more like it. But I may be wrong on this???
Old 11-21-2004, 11:59 AM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

While I think that the brison engine is nice (I am looking at t 2.4 for a 1/4 scale ultimate) don't be so quick to overlook the DA 50. I am around people who fly large planes every week. I see lots of different engine/plane combo's and get to watch them fly. The two brison engines I have seen seem to run and fly good. Almost all of the 3W engines seem to take alot of messing around with to get right but once right seem to run ok also. One of the guys has a BME 60 on a 33% laser and it really runs nice. The majority of engines that I see are DA's of all sizes. All of the DA 50's have run great right out of the box. I talked to Brian at DA about the rod bearing problem after seeing it posted on here. His explanation of the problem was a bad batch of rod bearings that were used. Only a small number of engines used these bearings and most have been repaired already. My friend got one of these engines and when he took it in DA replaced the rod and crankshaft at no charge to him. If you have a DA 50 and are worried about it I suggest contacting DA. I think that for the number of engines sold only a small percentage have had problems. Just go to one of the large IMAC compititons and see for yourself what everyone is using. I was at the Tucson aerobatic shootout and didn't see one engine that wasen't a DA, 3W, or ZDZ. I still think that the best bang for the buck would be the brison and if DA wasen't here in Tucson I would have gotten one myself.

Rick
Old 11-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Tired Old Man

As far as oil content is concerned, even the Brisons will run a lot better on ratios of from 70 up to 100-1. That's recommended by Brison as well. The quality of the oil and the accuracy of the mix is what it's all about. From a personal standpoint, I've never been too keen on a 100-1 mix of anybody's oil, so I stay at between 70 and 80-1. Never had a problem. On the other end of the scale, running engines on 32-1 and up to 50-1, I've loaded up plugs too many times to count, and really carboned up an engine or two.

Though I'm a dedicated Brison engines owner, DA does indeed make fine engines. Not quite up to par with my Brisons, tho.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:26 PM
Y N C

I was in a hobby store had the DA 50 on my hands then told myself this does'nt look so hot, so i put it back then went home and order the Brison 3.2, never been happier with my purchuse. I have 2 of them no problems so far. If you want to tryout their great service get the DA, if you don't want to mess around with service get the Brison.