Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Matching Coverite True Red

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Matching Coverite True Red

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 07:02 PM
iamrandy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matching Coverite True Red

I have a scale project, white with red trim. Bought coverite "True Red" covering, matching trim striping and a can of paint, same color. Surprise!!!! the true red that comes out of the can after 10 minutes of vigorous shaking is NO where near the color of the covering. Do i have an aberration, need to buy another can and it WILL match my covering, or is there some other can of some other paint that will match my covering? i have only a cowling and a wing fairing to paint, but it is asking too much to have the can labelled as true red MATCH the covering of the same color?
Thank You in advance
Old 11-21-2004, 08:59 PM
CafeenMan

Default RE: Matching Coverite True Red

Paint matching to covering is a common problem in almost all brands of covering and paint. Some guys swear certain brands match and other guys say they don't. I have never seen a brand of paint to match covering so I mix my own. The only problem there is that hobby paints don't usually have primary colors.

Their red, yellow and blue are always dirty (have another color or colors mixed in). Even so you can get a close match. Just experiment with small quantities to get the match so you don't waste a lot of paint.

I just finished a Herr Piper Cub and used about 4 drops of red in an ounce of yellow (which is a little red to start) to match the covering.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:42 PM
iamrandy

i stand corrected...it is NOT coverite, but ULTRACOAT. anyone have any tips? thank you.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:46 PM
CafeenMan

I just gave you one. Buy real paint and mix to an exact match. It's easier than buying 10 cans of spray paint that don't match.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had good luck with Ultracote paints. I usually get a pretty close match.

If you want/need and EXACT color match you will need to have it mixed. For EXACT matches, I bring a sample of the color I want to the paint store and have a quart of latex mixed. The cost is about $10 a quart. The downside to latex is that it normally takes 7 - 10 days to FULLY cure and it must be clear coated to prevent the deteriation/paint coming off from the glow fuel. For clear coating I use a water base polyurethane. I use MinWax, however, there are other water base polys out there. The water base poly does not yellow with age as the oil base polys do. 2 coats of water base poly, I know is good for 10% nitro (10% is all I use ). I have been told that other people have found it to be good using 15% nitro.