Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

dragunfly 22d or Honey bee 2

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

dragunfly 22d or Honey bee 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 08:01 AM
puble23
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dragunfly 22d or Honey bee 2

Hey if you guys could just give your opions on these two helis that would be great!
Thanks
Old 11-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Deleted User

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-17-2004, 03:52 PM
jb92563
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: dragunfly 22d or Honey bee 2

The GWS dragonfly flys great with minimal work and survives crashes very well.

After about 20 flights I can hover in one square yard area for almost the entire flight.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:04 PM
quaker1

Have you flown a micro before?, if so then go for the collective pitch. Im going that way myself, the only downfall with the Honeybee 2 is the motor driven tail.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:05 PM
marcelg

I got dragonfly 22d but as the send it with faulty radio or gyro i can't use,seems better the Esky.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:52 PM
Velocity-8
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: marcelg

I got dragonfly 22d but as the send it with faulty radio or gyro i can't use,seems better the Esky.

You have a Dragonfly 22D that is defective but it's better than the eSky???? Please explain.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:32 AM
marcelg

Is not the same kind of hely, Esky is 3d and 22d no, can be upgraded later, also 22d is (better stability?), anyway is my second dragonfly and for sure the last one.

ORIGINAL: Velocity-8

ORIGINAL: marcelg

You have a Dragonfly 22D that is defective but it's better than the eSky???? Please explain.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:21 PM
kenwanwan

can I modify the Esky 3d Tail motor to #22D CP tail system?
Old 11-20-2004, 09:53 PM
Cautrell05

I Got my 22d last friday. On monday I ordered an esc and a gyro and went to seperates. The original radio with mine was junk. Some have reported to have good luck with the original radio and others have had the same results as i did.
If this is your first heli and you dont have any radio gear then go with an esky or humming bird because they have better radios(the 22d radio is on some wierd frequency that wont work with us radios even if they are both on 72mhz).
22D advantages-
No tail motor

No mixing board

Can use standard 10 amp airplane ESC

Cheaper to upgrade to brushless- 1 motor and 1 ESC

Just about all hornet 2 parts and upgrades will work with the 22d.

Shaft or belt driven tail is supposed to be more precise than seperate motor for the tail. That is what I have heard, this is my first heli so I cant speak from experience.

The 22d uses a fixed pitch ESKY head and GWS dragon fly blades are an exact replacement for the original 22d blades. I bought a set for spares and I have compared them.

Disadvantages-

The radio is junk.

The reciever is not compatible with any other TX.

Plan on upgrading the radio gear.

The gears that run the tail driveshaft are kinda fragile. They are also fairly expensive. By the way everything under the swashplate is an exact clone of a hornet 2. So even though its made in hong kong you can get parts here in the states fairly easy. Unfoutunatley they are not overly cheap.

They did a crappy job putting the stickers on mine. Ok thats getting picky.

I have never even seen an esky in person letalone flew one so I can not accuratley give you the good and bads.

The only two things that I can say against it is the tail motor issue and the mixing board. Last time I checked mixing boards were not cheap and the tail motor issue has been discussed too many times to bother going over it all here.
Personally I llike my 22d even though I had to redo the radio gear( still using the servos though). I dont mind working on it though. I have been a professional mechanic for over 13 years and have been in Rc cars for over 15 years so it doesent bother me. The biggest single reason why I went with the 22D over a hummingbird or a GWS dragonfly is the shaft driven tail. I figured I could eliminate the problem and expense of the tail motor and mixing board that way. But I also knew when I bought it that the radio would have to go.

On the other hand if your just getting into micro helis and dont want to alot of tinkering and just want to fly with what it comes with then an esky or a hummingbird might be a better choice. It all depends on your experience, what equipment you have and how much work you want to put into it.

Nick
Old 11-21-2004, 02:22 AM
JohnY2004

ORIGINAL: Cautrell05

No mixing board

Can use standard 10 amp airplane ESC

Cheaper to upgrade to brushless- 1 motor and 1 ESC
Could you list the upgrades of your D22 in details. I want it for reference. I like the design of direct shaft driving the tail over using tail motors.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Cautrell05

I just used a GWS R4P receiver, a great plains C-10 esc and a GWS PG03 gyro. The next upgrade is going to be lipos but I need to wait untill payday. I tried it on a 2 cell the other day and it wasnt enough voltage(original battery is 9.6v). On a 3 cell it works good.
Nick
Old 11-25-2004, 09:20 PM
R-Rudder

Saw this D22 on ebay, they recommended a 11.1V battery for upgrade over a 9.6V stock battery. Isn't a bit too much of power and will it fry its ESC or mixer...etc?
Old 11-25-2004, 09:37 PM
xalex0000

Hey, dont you need a computer radio if you sepretes ? I have a Jr quattro Radio laying around. Ive been wondering to get the r22 or the esky 3d for a long time, but havent gone to a conclusion.

Do you guys know, were i can find videos of both of those helis ?

thanks for any possible help !

Old 11-27-2004, 08:46 PM
xalex0000

Lol, sorry, Its the dragonfly 22d