Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How to Make Your Own Plywood

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How to Make Your Own Plywood

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 02:14 AM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Make Your Own Plywood

I'll admit that the information in this how-to is so obvious that it almost wasn't worth doing. The main reason I wrote the article was to further demonstrate techniques for building lightweight aircraft or simply to get the most strength in the smallest possible mass.

[link=http://airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/construction/make_balsa_wood_plywood/index.htm]How to Make Your Own Plywood[/link]
Old 11-28-2004, 06:13 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to Make Your Own Plywood

Interesting information. Thanks. I should have used the squeegee on the part cooking now with way too much epoxy. The other write up’s are also very informative.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:04 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too have found the ply in kits very poor. I now get my ply from hard wood dealers. Baltic Birch is the good strong heavy stuff. I get it in 5'X5' sheets. The lite ply I get is called Apple ply or Italian flexable ply.

If I am trying to save as much weight as I can but still need lots of strenght, I use balsa with ply on both sides. A firewall made of 1/16 ply on each side of 1/8 balsa is a lot stronger then you would think. I have been flying a 60 sized pattern plane with a ply/balsa firewall for a little over a year now. I guess I have 30 or so flights on it now. It also works pretty good for landing gear plates.

Dru.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:15 PM
CafeenMan

Hi Dru,

Where would I look for the plywood you're talking about? You say hardwoods dealers, but I live in a small city and all we have are Home Depot and Lowes.

I have done the same as you regarding facing balsa on both sides with ply. Normally it's for servo trays where I use 1/64" ply on both sides of 1/8" balsa. I've never tried it for a firewall.

I've seen some guys use end grain balsa that is faced with ply, fiberglass plate or carbon fiber plate. In fact, Aerospace Composites carries some of those materials. I've never used them though.

I'm glad to hear your confirmation of the plywood faced balsa holding up as a firewall. Honestly, I've been afraid to try it.

- Paul
Old 11-28-2004, 10:52 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

Where would I look for the plywood you're talking about? You say hardwoods dealers, but I live in a small city and all we have are Home Depot and Lowes.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...nnishbirch.php