Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Digital scale for weighing planes?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Digital scale for weighing planes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 08:55 PM
heli02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital scale for weighing planes?

I am looking for a digital scale that I can weigh in planes up to 30-40 pounds. I have found many scales but most only go to 5-6 pounds. Looking for one that would sit on the floor and place the spinner on. Does anyone know of any?

Thanks,

Jonathan
Old 08-22-2002, 09:14 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you'll find that most use an electronic fishing scale to weigh planes that large. I hang mine from a bicycle hook that's in the ceiling of my garage. I hang the model with a harness on the prop from the scale to get the weight.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:53 PM
edge_fanatic
My Feedback: (4)

Default yep

I bought a scale from a sporting goods place that had fishing gear.

I weigh my planes using a small rope harness that allows the plane to be level, but there is no reason I can think of that would preclude you hanging it from the prop, as Galen does....other than the fact that my fuse is so long I'd have to hang the scale quite high off of the ground to use his method, and then read the scale from a ladder...LOL

My way allows me to do the entire process from the ground.

cheers!
Old 08-22-2002, 10:59 PM
AndySteere
My Feedback: (2)

I use a Royal RC40.

(click on image for larger version)

It's designed for weighing packages for mailing... and if you sell stuff here or elsewhere, it will serve double-duty. Weighs up to 40 pounds. Very accurate. Reads to 0.2 ounces... and seems to be very close to that. A 20 pound package matched the scales at the post office to within 0.2 ounces. They are kind of proud of it... ~$70.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:19 AM
Tailspin Terror

Digital fishing scale works for me. I hang my planes from the ceiling to balance and weigh. I build my low wing aircraft with a hard wood block on the CG. I use an eyebolt screwed directly on the CG to balance the model nose to tail and laterally. Works great for weighing to.

I love the smell of methanol in the morning.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:13 AM
Brad Fuller

When we went to the NATS in Muncie, they weighed my C-47 and B-17 by placing the scales under each wheel and adding for a total weight. I guess if that's good enough for them , it works for me!!
Old 08-24-2002, 12:42 PM
Diablo-RCU

A word of caution. Just because a scale is digital, does not mean it is accurate. I have a digital fishing scale from Berkley. I calibrated the scale by using weights that had been measured on a very accurate laboratory scale (traceable to NIST). The Berkley scale was accurate to less than .1 lb for objects less than about 15 lbs. At 28 lbs, the scale read +.3lbs higher than actual weight. I made a calibration chart so I know what objects really weigh when measured on the Berkley. The Berkley measurements are very reproduceable, no drift over time.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:11 PM
edge_fanatic
My Feedback: (4)

Default Accuracy

I use the scale for relative measurements, and only desire a reasonably close measurement. I'm too cheap to pay for something more accurate than a few tenths of a pound, just to weigh planes with.

Besides if the scale tells me that my plane is a bit heavier than anticipated, I'll move that scale to my boat, and use it for fishing....Then, all my fish will weigh more...heh