Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE QUESTION ABOUT RUDDER

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

NEWBIE QUESTION ABOUT RUDDER

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 09:40 PM
kevntri
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE QUESTION ABOUT RUDDER

I just got a Esky 3d and when I take it up to a hover, I need to adjust thr rudder trim all the way right, How do you adjust this on a motor driven tail???
Sorry for the basic question, but this is my first micro and I haven't flown in about three years

Thanks
Old 12-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Poll

Default RE: NEWBIE QUESTION ABOUT RUDDER

Not sure how to fix that, never flew a heli, but I'm getting one of those, besides the rudder trim, how does it fly?
Old 12-01-2004, 12:42 AM
racemiata

Try turn up the "proportional" trim on the Rx. You need to disconnect and reconnect the flight battery to make it effective. The trim setting should not be more than about 70% of full swing or it might imply that the tail motor is going south.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:29 AM
kevntri

I'll try disconnecting the battery and adjusting. I need to speed the motor up (The tail moves to the right and the nose to the left) so that means add proportional ?????
Should I turn down the gain on the gyro for set-up?
Thanks..

It flies real well for a micro. This is my first little one but it was tracking pretty smooth right out of the box. I hovered for about 2 min with only a few trim adjustments.
I have about 2-3 years with heli's and can fly minor 3D (loops, rolls, high inverted and so on) I think you'll be happy with it.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Poll

Glad to hear it =). Also, I heard you should start with your trim and throttle at zero, I'm not sure if you know this, or if it's relevant, just throwing it out there.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:09 AM
Ozydego

What kind of gyro are u using? if its an all in one board, there are usually 2 pots to adjust the gain and sensitivity. Those are what conrol how fast the motor runs, also, make sure that the motor is not binding anywhere in the gear train, as this will really reduce its effectiveness.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:26 PM
ozandy

Is your Revo mixing on the Tx been set correctly? If not it is best to do this before messing with the onboard gyro.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:31 AM
tanasit

The 2 terms being used on the all in one controller are similar to GAIN and PROPORTION on the other controller.
The GAIN or LIMIT will set the strength or sensitivity of how much the rudder response to the yaw movement, normally set at 90% and go down from there.
The PROPORTION or DELAY will dictate the amount of signal sending to the rudder control per unit time, again good starting point is 90%.

The DELAY should be set first, you want to set it so that the rudder speed is proportion to the rotor speed. If the heli is on the ground and the throttle is a lowest position, move the heli side to side by hand, if the tail spins you have to decrease the DELAY.
Then fly the heli and adjust the LIMIT, if the tail osscilates then the gain must be reduced the LIMIT but if you reduce it too much the nose will not stay put.

One manual suggests that you set both at 90% then go down from there if needed. On my Esky 3D, the gain stays around 85% (arrow points at 7 o'clock) and the proportion is about 75% (arrow points at 3 o'clock), this is with 1800 mAH lithium pack.

Look down, the rotor turns clockwise so the body would want to counteract by turning to the left (nose to the left that is), now come the rudder to help pulling the nose to the right (pushing the tail to the left that is). So if you need to trim the rudder to the left (nose moves to right when fly), which means the rudder has TOO MUCH power then you must LOWER the proprotion by turning the pot counter clockwise. If the tail oscillates, then the gain must be reduced (as mentioned above).

It is okay to have to adjust the trim on the TX, sometimes it changes with ambient temperature or the efficiency of the motor(s).
Old 12-05-2004, 08:53 AM
kevntri

I have the gain and proportion set and it flies good, but is it normal to have to adjust as the battery goes down? After about 3-4 min, I have to start adjusting the trim on the rudder to the right and soon I am all the way over with the trim. Thats when I land and figure the battery is getting too low. I get about 8-10 minutes with short stops in between with an 1200 Li-Po pack
Old 12-07-2004, 11:05 AM
tanasit

This is normal and also applied for gas helicopter when the fuel tank is NOT in line with the center of gravity and when the fuel is less, the CG shifts and the torque of the rotor head has less effect because the less mass of the helicopter. Also if you change the hovering pitch in forward flight (to less pitch for faster head speed), the ridder trim will change too.
But in our case which has a separated tail motor which also shares the same battery, low battery simply gives less authority to the rudder whose job is to pull the tail to the left (nose to the right), as a result you have to give more power to the rudder by moving the trim to the right.