Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

esky 3d tail motor; li-po battery

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

esky 3d tail motor; li-po battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 03:02 PM
tthomp113

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default esky 3d tail motor; li-po battery

Ok, I just ordred my esky 3d; thamks for all your individual input. I remember reading about problems with people burning up the tail motor. What is the best way to go? Double motor like advertised in heli-hobby, the ducted fan motor from same web site? Is there something else like a high amp motor than can take the abuse?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Poll

Default RE: esky 3d tail motor; li-po battery

I heard the double motor is too much weight..... I'm not sure if this problem is exaggerated; I heard from one person that they didn't have a problem . . . I'd say order a 2nd motor just incase and a heatsink for your tail and main motor. www.allerc.com has a good assortment. I have the CN12-RXC sitting around as a replacement, I doubt it'd fit (I don't actually have the heli yet so...) but I think I'd damn well try to make it fit, + it has carbon brushes.

Just wanted to say brushless could handle the abuse, but that costs a good amount + you'd need new circuitry.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:31 AM
pwterry

DC motors vary speed by changing voltage. So, the motors should see the same voltages with 11v battery vs. 9v battery. With the 11.1v li-poly battery you get less weight and longer flight times than with the 8.8v nimh battery of the same amperage. The only concern would be the ESC - more heat will be generated by the circuitry that reduces the voltage to the amount the motors use. Since I've not read of many, if any, problems in this area, I assume the ESC is capable of handling the added juice of the li-poly battery.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:38 AM
ozandy

My tail motor gets pretty hot, but has survived for a few hours flight. I have heard that the Esky tail motors now have carbon brushes, and are better than the originals. You could get by for a while just by buying a spare. Having said that, I am going to the direct drive tail. As much as anything for the props as the stock "unbreakable" ones break too easily!
Old 12-08-2004, 12:42 PM
quaker1

You have to be careful with the higher voltage on the tail motors, these speed controllers work by pulse width modulation which means they get the full voltage of the battery in pulses but just for a shorter or a longer duration. This is what damages the feeble brushes on the tail motors(I beleive), as for the dual tail motor set-up I have this on mine and straight away you can do away with the heatsinks because the motors wont get hot due to sharing the load, I did have to move my battery forward a little bit but not much. Another thing you can do if you use 3s lipo is wire the two motors in series instead of parallel this will half the voltage to the motors and still give plenty of power in the tail, mine has a brushless main motor and the tail has no problem keeping itself in check.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:37 PM
tanasit

Quaker1, so you install a new RX and an esc for the brushless main motor? What about the gyro?

Thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 06:18 PM
tthomp113

I was thinking of using a motor from a hpi micro rs4. They have upgraded version for the car which is the same size of the tail motor. I also know that the "hotter" motors for the micro radio control cars are the same size (370) as most motors, but have removable brushes, etc. What do you guys think?
Old 12-09-2004, 06:50 PM
quaker1

The gyro goes between the receiver rudder channel and the tail esc, if your tail esc doesnt have any mixing you will need a heading hold gyro.