Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Dremel to build balsa aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Dremel to build balsa aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 12:53 AM
llandons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dremel to build balsa aircraft

I am building an airplane for the first time and I got a Dremel cordless drill for 30 dollars at Wal-mart and it was the best investment for the price I have made in RC flying in the last few years I have been doing it. Anyone out there have any favorite tools or attachments that they use or have any tricks they might want to share?

I love the rotary saw attachments they cut balsa so well and save you for using a straight edge, no little cuts on your hands! They sanders are also very useful for a rough cut. After you are done cutting they can drill all your holes too! The all around only power tool you need for a balsa project, I LOVE IT!
Old 11-22-2004, 09:22 AM
CRFlyer

Default RE: Dremel to build balsa aircraft

I have been using a dremel for several years now, and I agree that they are very handy. I use a corded one with multi speed selector. Also, I agree that the all around most used attachment is a cutoff wheel.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:23 AM
voyager_663rd

More power eh ?? Must be related to Tim Taylor ("Tool Time")

Seriously, sometimes power ain't all it's cracked up to be. My favourite for drilling holes is a little pin vise. It's basically a cigar-shaped drill that will hold small bits (up to about 1/8" I believe) that you just "hold and twirl". No power, no noise. And perfect control over what you're drilling.

Don't get me wrong, power has its place. But pin vise, razor saw, they are fine too. Each has its purpose. Each has it positives and negatives.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:10 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

I have several different models for different uses. But - like Voyager said, they're good for some things, but there's a better tool for other things. Here's one of my favorite dremel improv bits: (sorry 'bout the crude drawing!) Great for cutting perfectly parallel slots for stingers, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71491.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	195534  
Old 11-22-2004, 10:14 AM
cwrr5

BTW - WEAR GOGGLES! They will fling peices of whatever you're cutting all over the place.(trust me-I've had few close calls[X(] )
Old 11-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Lancair-RCU

An indespensible tool for just about anything, though I would like a small manual hand drill at times, with the power of the dremel is easy drill a deeper hole than needed, esp in harder woods.

Ill second cwrr5's warning about goggles. I got complacent with mine, not using goggles to make one small cut, seemed like a waste of time for me to put them on. Until one day Im using the small cutoff wheel for metal, shortening a small bolt, as I touched the cutoff wheel to the bolt, the wheel shattered, one piece hit me on the forehead, didnt break the skin but darn hurt. If it had been in my eye it wouldve done damage. I put the gogles on EVERY TIME I pick it up now.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:10 AM
NewfGlider

Wearing the eye protection when using any power tool (let alone a Dremel) is a smart idea.

Trust me . . . . . Getting the eye doctor to dig a wood splinter or chip out of your eye with a needle is absolutely no fun. [:'(]

Now I wear eye protection whenever I touch a power tool.

And your normal eyeglasses are NOT eye protection!
Old 11-28-2004, 04:03 AM
miamiflyer
My Feedback: (1)

i'm using a corded dremel, too. of course always eye protection
i was wondering if anyone uses the 90 dgree extension for the dremel.
It should make it easier to drill accurate holes since you can eyeball the
piece better.
worth the 20 bucks?
Old 11-29-2004, 06:35 AM
llandons

I saw that drill attachment i am also looking at that saw attachment it looks like it would be much easier to cut 1/4 balsa with it.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:25 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the 90deg attachment. Very often. It gets me into the fuse when I'm doing radio setup or running air lines. I've had it for a couple of years now. When it wears out, I'll buy another. The dremil is my most used tool. On my third one and I use the corded type. Dont like to run out of juice when I need it. As for cutoff wheels, I dont use the fiber board ones. Like was said earlier, they're too dangerous. I use the fiberglass cutoff wheels. Never had one shatter in the 5 years since I started using them. You still need to use a safety sheild and mask, that fine glass powder is not good for you. I've cut tooled steel at work with it and mild steel for airplane balancing.
Edwin
Old 11-29-2004, 11:49 AM
llandons

Dremel acctually came out with a new tool attachment called the mini saw. Here is the web address for it http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay...0&Color=99CCFF

It replaces the cut off wheels and looks safer
Old 11-30-2004, 05:10 PM
jboy381-RCU

what do you guys think about useing this for cutting wing ribs???

john

http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay...31&Color=99CCF
Old 12-01-2004, 08:37 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see why you couldnt. I think I'll stick to the jig saw and verticle 1" belt sander. I cut to within 1/16" to 1/8" of the line, then finish sand to the line. Takes time, I got lots of that. This is just a hobby and I dont care how long it takes for me to do a build. My hands arent steady enough to cut right on the line.
Edwin
Old 12-07-2004, 01:09 AM
wascamp
My Feedback: (1)

I have to say that the Dremel tool has become an indespensable part of my tool kit. I use it to shape, sand ,drill, route, and cut. I once built a fiberglass and wood 12 meter RC sailboat using a knife and a dremel tool. With the new routing attachment it is possable to cut a template and reproduce parts at a high rate. I don't think I would start a project without my dremel tool. I think it is the best allround hobby tool ever invented! Period. Bar none. Really.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:28 AM
CafeenMan

I like the Mini Mite best because it is less powerful and easier to control. I have two mini's and two corded models. All of them turn to fast for drilling purposes. I prefer brad point bits in a drill press to make extremely clean holes.

But moto tools are excellent for a lot of tasks. I just wish Dremel would improve the quality of the tools and especially stop changing the shape. No matter what accessories you have now, they won't fit your next Dremel because they'll change the shape. Then they make really cheap plastic adapters that don't even fit the tools they're supposed to fit.

For example, the adapter I have to use with my router attachment allows the retaining screws to tighten completely but the dremel isn't as secure as it should be. And yes, I'm using the "proper" adapter made by Dremel.

A great thing to make for your dremel is a router/shaper table. The one they sell is cheap too so I made my own.

Router/Shaper Table for a Moto Tool
Old 12-07-2004, 07:29 AM
cwrr5

Another indespensable attachment is the flexible extension.(just like the name says) You can bend and twist to get it into tight spaces, great for slightly enlarging bulkhead cutouts for fuel tanks or radio gear. [8D]
Old 12-07-2004, 09:59 PM
the-plumber

[quote]ORIGINAL: jboy381-RCU

what do you guys think about useing this for cutting wing ribs???
/quote]

Not much. Got one, and it struck me as needing a good bit of practice to learn how to prevent the beast snatching the wood outta yer hand and firing it across the shop.

I went back to bandsawing stacks of rib blanks and finishing them on the belt sander.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:04 AM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Hey guys, I am actually in the process of building a CNC router that uses a Dremel as the cutter. Check it out - http://www.houstonhobbies.com/tips/b...cnc-router.htm

JR Gautreaux
Old 12-10-2004, 07:55 PM
lex2bits
My Feedback: (12)

CafeenMan

I just wish Dremel would improve the quality of the tools and especially stop changing the shape. No matter what accessories you have now, they won't fit your next Dremel because they'll change the shape. Then they make really cheap plastic adapters that don't even fit the tools they're supposed to fit.
It's called "planned obsolescence", and American manufacturers are notorious for it. Just look at the stuff we buy, over and over and over.... and then we fall for the "Rebate" scam, and to top it off, we give them even more money for an "extended warranty". They have no incentive to make things better or make them backwardly compatible as long as we keep buying their junk.

One of the latest gimmicks is that "Cold Heat" soldering iron. JUNK!!...... absolutely will not do the job, even on 28ga. servo wires. Save your money! To to Home Depot's credit, I took mine back and they cheerfully gave me a refund. But you know what?.... Cold Heat will sell a google of them and make a bundle because they know that only 10% of them will be returned for refund.

Where's my valium........

Lex
Old 12-12-2004, 09:45 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

MY brother gave me my Dremel on my 13th birthday.

I'm 43 and it is 30. runs fine. New bits fit it. I even have collets to run bits by other brands.