Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Have 4S-.91 equipment avail, VMAR or Seagul PC-9?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Have 4S-.91 equipment avail, VMAR or Seagul PC-9?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 04:57 AM
kh6oo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have 4S-.91 equipment avail, VMAR or Seagul PC-9?

After loosing my GP Lanciar I have a Siato .91 and 60 size electronics available. After flipping through the mags, the Seagul PC-9 caught my eye. I understand that VMAR also makes one. What is confusing me is that the ad, although a 40 size, calls for a .72 to 1.00 4 stroke and the VMAR I believe IS a 60 size model. But after reading some forums it seems people are running .46 2-strokes mostly on both. So, is it to much power for these models? Although I have moved on from trainers I still am a humble intermediate flyer still enjoying my SIG 4 Star. I was comfortable with the GP Lanciar and just made a stupid rookie flap mistake. So I am looking for something that is still considered stable.

Although I would also like to hear of other options too that take in consideration of the fact I am looking for something other then your run of the mill CAP or Extra type aircraft that would stand out a bit more at the field (I was also looking at the GP Little Toni, BUT I like the idea of a tri-cycle to practice since I have the 4 star tail dragger already), I am also aware of VMAR quality issues so please keep the bagging at a low since your not telling me anything I have not heard already. Thanks

Aloha
Tom
Old 07-28-2004, 07:06 AM
Woody 51

Default RE: Have 4S-.91 equipment avail, VMAR or Seagul PC-9?

VMAR make the PC9 in 2 sizes. The most common is the .46 sized one but it also goes very well with just a .50 4 stroke.

The larger one has facilities for retracts etc and a .91 4 stroke would fly it just fine.

Seagull's PC9 is a .46 sized model.

The VMAR models have a closer resemblence to the real thing from a scale point of view.

I have flown all 3 both and really there was no difference in the way they flew, except the bigger of the 2 VMAR's handled wind better and like all big models, looked the best in the air.

If you want one for a .91 4 stroke, it would have to be the VMAR. If for a .46, flip a coin, both are o.k.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:37 AM
hgiles
My Feedback: (4)

I would go with a Kangke Monocoupe for this engine...
Old 07-28-2004, 09:23 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Purchase a Velox II from World Models. Review the trends on this model and you will have one fine machine. The machine will fly fine with your Saito swinging a 14X6 or 14X4 propellor. The only thing it won't do with this engine prop combination are substained vertical manuvers.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:29 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will not say anymore on the VMAR as to quality, you get 3 colour schemes with the VMAR PC9. The Texan II, Roulettes or Harvard. They all look about the same.

Something different? Get a pattern plane, since everyone wants an Extra, Edge or SU nowadays. I am building my WM Super Chipmunk, its nice ...
Old 07-28-2004, 03:49 PM
kh6oo

Thanks for all the info. I checked those other kits also. Real nice planes. Not sure why Seagul is advertising such overpower on there 40 size. I think its best to find that larger VMAR. Again thanks for the help and ideas.

Aloha
Tom
Old 07-29-2004, 06:49 AM
Woody 51

Despite the bagging that VMAR gets from just about everywhere, (including me from time to time) currently the oldest model in my "hangar" is a VMAR Ramrod, powered by an old Fox .45 ring.

Now over 6 years old, it has had over 300 flights and apart from slight damage to the wing LE when it ran into a fence once (easily repaired) it continues to soldier on.

Sure the covering isn't the best and the canopy has cracked, but it has outlasted many examples of so called "Roll Royce" brand ARF's that I have owned.

Not bad for an el cheapo, of suspect quality.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:48 PM
kh6oo

Yeah, Thats what I kind of see too. After seeing all the bad bagging, my roomate still got the suburu FA-200. Although, yes, the wood did not seem as nice as most, it turned out to be one of the easiest arfs to put together, best instructions, and best looking covering in the entire hanger. So, I think its one of those hit and miss things. I also think they are honestly getting better. Aloha
Old 07-30-2004, 07:39 AM
Woody 51

Yes they are.

And they are even using real balsa (from plantation stuff grown in New Guinea)
over that terrible oily soft wood that the early ones were made from.

Their Jodel isn't a bad model and their new EXTRA 330L is quite eye catching.

I do like their ingenious removeable firewall/tank bulkhead system and servo trays.

One day they may finally catch up to World Models.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:58 AM
tIANci

Woody, will you get to see that day? Most of the VMARs that came in recently have flown ... they fly very nice but a lot of quality issues cropped up, nuff said!
Old 07-30-2004, 08:44 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aloha Tom

I have the Seagull PC-9 and I love my plane. I do feel the engine selection is a bit off as I ran mine with a 46fx and now with a Magnum 52 xls and it screams with an 11x6 prop. I was looking into the 90 sized from VMAR but their customer support was horrible when I called so I did not make the purchase.

pics of mine at www.hideinmy.com/trip in the R/C section.

regards

matt
Old 12-13-2004, 06:45 PM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

I'm considering purchasing this plane (VMAR PC9) but have concerns with speed. How fat is the airfoil, translating into some stability at slower speeds.
how is it for a 2nd/ 3rd plane ?
I'd like to know more about how it flies.
I'm considering the PC9 vs a hangar 9 T34.