Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Can too much power be detrimental?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 10:06 PM
Bozwth
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can too much power be detrimental?

I am putting a Super Tigre G90 on a small Aeromaster. I was told by the person that I bought it from that I should put at least a 60 on it. I flew another biplane of comparable size with a 60 and it just didn't have the verticle climb that I want in mine. The engine is the same weight and size as the G60, so weight and balence shouldn't be an issue. I'm planning on using a three bladed prop and checked for sufficient prop clearance, so that shouldn't be a problem. Are there going to be any problems that will prevent me from having a good flying airplane with this engine/airframe combination when it's completed such as too much torque or "P" factor?
Old 12-16-2001, 11:17 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default OK

It should be fine with the G90 on it. Since the G90 is a torquey engine are you going to run a 13x8 three blade on it or a 14x7 three blade?
Old 12-17-2001, 12:52 AM
Bozwth
My Feedback: (3)

Default prop size

I went to the Super T web site and it recommended a 12X8 or a 13X6 so I dropped 1 inch for the 3 blade and picked out a 12X6. Not enough?

Thanks for the reply, Robert
Old 12-17-2001, 01:57 PM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Default 2 much power

bozwth,

Keep in mind when you add more power than recommended, you must reinforce the airframe, fly using the throttle (so you don't overspeed the airframe) and watch for making the plane too heavy.