Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Would a Brison 3.2 be good with a can muffler???

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Would a Brison 3.2 be good with a can muffler???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 04:56 PM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a Brison 3.2 be good with a can muffler???

I am buying an airplane with a header and tuned cannister for a DA 50 already in it. I already have a Brison 3.2 on hand for this plane. My question is will the can work well with the Brison? Also, I figure it is a long shot that the bolt holes would work on my Brison, but just in case if someone out there has a DA 50 can you measure the distance between the exhaust holes for me? If the cannister would still make good power I would buy a new header for my engine. Thanks all!
Old 12-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Would a Brison 3.2 be good with a can muffler???

You brought up a question that I've been wondering about for a long time now. I don't know of anyone that has installed a tuned cannister on a Brison 3.2, and I can't understand why not. I'm just as interested in the performance answer as you are. Another factor is if there are any changes in the lifespan of the engine.

Bisson Custom Mufflers would be able to make a quality adapter for the DA headers to a Brison engine if they don't already fit. They're super good people to talk to and do business with.

Keep us posted on what you find out. You may well be paving the way to new performance levels with Brison engines!

Pat
Old 12-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Bryant330L

Pat, this should be an interesting post. I know there are some people on here that know a lot about cannisters. I personally don't really know anything about them. Hopefully we can all learn something here.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:26 PM
TailTouch
My Feedback: (54)

I also had a Brison 3.2 earmarked for my EF Yak-54 and was facing the same conundrum. I found no concrete answer regarding this and even the folks at Brison couldn't point me in any right direction. I finally sold the engine with the airframe and got myself a DA-50 with a KS-1060 tuned pipe
Old 12-05-2004, 11:54 PM
Tired Old Man

It's starting to look like it might be time to take the plunge and do some experimenting. I might just send my old 3.2 in for an overhaul to make certain that everything is up to snuff and ready for a heavier load. Then to go checking the various manufacturers for some design parameters.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:42 AM
tkg

Tuned canesters are not made for one engine only. They are made for a SIZE engine. The 50cc can will work on a 3.2 . You will need a header that all. You can make your own header from the "kits" that are avaiable.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:47 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with TKG , the engine will run much better on the canister simply because it will breath better as the exhaust gases can escape more freely. It can't help but, make more power. U will have to adjust the carb.

Don't go with the 50cc canister though, go with the KS 70cc canister, That's what is recomended by both DA and ZDZ for their 50's.

The DA exhaust port pattern is not the same as the Brison however, KS does make an exhaust flange for Dolmar 45cc (same pattern as my Taurus 3.2 and I believe the Brison as well).

Hope that helps

Mike
Old 12-06-2004, 08:32 PM
Flip and Fly

I was just wondering what a KS canister muffler weighs. Do you add that much extra weight considering a pitts muffler can weigh about 10oz I think.

Really interested in this setup too. You will have to experiment with pipe to canister lengths for best performance.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Tired Old Man

I've been able to garner a little history and some performance numbers to answer some of the question.

It seems that some time back, at least well before I became involved in gassers, there was a group of people that used Brison 3.2's for drag racing. They were installed in a 6' long dragster (rail) and Macs Mufflers in Sacramento, CA made a tuned exhaust for them. They apparently worked pretty good, but they weighed more than the engine. They were made like an extractor exhaust system for a 2 stroke motorcycle.

Coming a little more into the future, some experimentting was done by Gary Allison at Brison with header lengths and a regular muffler. It seems that a 3/4" i.d. header, 13-1/2" long, produced about a 200 rpm gain. Longer or shorter produced lesser results. The addition of a velocity stack to the carb added another 200 rpm. Those numbers are plus or minus a little, but a 300 to 400 rpm gain on a 3.2 running a 22-8 prop is a lot of horsepower. BTW, there were no detrimental effects to the engine with the dragster set up. Some of the guys ran them in planes later.

So the final answer is yes, a tuned exhaust system with a header length of 13-1/2" would work very well, indeed. So a little experimenting is definitely in order.

Pat
Old 12-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Scoubidou
My Feedback: (17)

1060-4 KS tuned pipe weight 270g

65CC

http://www.krumscheid-metallwaren.de...-3kammern.html
Old 12-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Flip and Fly

Thanks Scoubidu, hows the weather on your side of the province [:'(] Well if it only weighs 270g you are not adding that much more weight. The power benifits would be worth it! But the cost, 138 Euros. Ouch! I wonder what a in fuse muffler from RC Showcase would work like.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Scoubidou
My Feedback: (17)

Hi flip and fly!
Unfortunaly, the weather is the same here. I try to keep my thumbs hot with my flight simulator .

Note: Dont forget to add header's weight!
Daniel
Old 12-31-2004, 05:37 PM
Bryant330L

Time to dig up this old thread.... I got to test run the Brison on this can. The only prop I have tried is a Pro Zinger 22-8 and it was bouncing between 7300-7400. That is about 200-300 better than a standard pitts muffler IF I can remember correctly. That engine was really screaming and I never even touched the needles. I think this combo is going to be a power house. I don't know anything about the can or header, they were installed in the plane when I bought it. Looks like a promising combo though.