Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Building Table/Board

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Building Table/Board

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 07:38 PM
razorback11
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building on glass

I have pushed alot of pins into a bunch of balsa in my lifetime and I am here to tell ya, using lead or steel ingots is much safer for your airplane and your fingers. I know for a fact that a structure that must be pinned down then taken up, then pinned down again any number of times is ultimately going to get weaker every time a new pin hole is added. Like I said, use the weights (match the proper weight for the structure you are holding down) to immobilize a structure dry....move things around as needed under the weights....and when everything is lined up to your satisfaction....glue her! can't be easier. Also, Dave Platt (in his vidios) likes to glue structures right to the glass and work on them. I have done this as well and it works great. When you want to take it up, a slight twist and she is in your hands. Then just scrape the CA off the glass with a scraper. This is great for things that must be sheeted. The pin and board method always gave me fits when it was time to sheet something because you had to reposition a hundred pins so that you could get at them after the structure was sheeted. Anyway, If you can not afford a large chunk of glass for a building table, get a small piece to build small structures (tail Feathers and such???) on. Once you see how nice it works, you may start saving for the bigger chunk of glass. Razorback11
Old 02-01-2002, 03:07 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Building Table/Board

Best building board I've come across is by 'Wright Building Board' - 1/2 cork over a board that has aluminum braces.....straight and true! And portable too.....

Jerry
Old 02-01-2002, 03:46 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default Building Table

Better listen to the boss hog (Razorback)......
I agree.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:10 AM
mbusch
My Feedback: (2)

Default Magnetic building board

Originally posted by sideshow
Did you glue the steel plates onto each side of the magnets?
After looking at this post I thought that a magnetic board would a nice thing to try. I mentioned this to one of the guys at my flying field, he said that he had one that he was not going to use and I could have it. When he gave it to me the pieces were not completly assembled. I would like to know more about glueing the metal plates to the magnets, I thought you just put the bolt through.

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-11-2002, 01:12 AM
scale buff
My Feedback: (24)

I used CA to glue the metal plates to the magnets. It works, but sometimes some of the plates come loose. It's a simple matter to reglue them. I think you'll love building with magnets.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:34 AM
BALSA BANDIT

Hey there you guys, if you saw my workshop in the basement you would have a double fit. I have to regularly clear a path down there just to get to a table. 1300 sq ft. of planes and planes and plane stuff. I think its going to be hard to find a spot to hang anything new down there for quite a while, but wait, the WRAM show is in two weeks. Theres got to be Room for one more. Ken....The "BALSA BANDIT"