Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Airplane "Aging" / Storage

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Airplane "Aging" / Storage

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 07:13 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airplane "Aging" / Storage

Are there any adverse effects on a balsa/ply GS plane stored for a while (years)? There's an ARF coming out that I really want to get my hands on, but I already have 2 33% planes flying and won't have time to get all 3 in the air very often. I was going to put the new one on the shelf until I'm ready to start messing with it.

The real reason I want to get it now... just found out I have a kid in the oven... need to get my toys NOW before he/she starts wanting his/her toys!!!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:01 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Airplane "Aging" / Storage

I think it will be fine, as long as its in a DRY place!
Old 01-05-2005, 11:44 AM
mu2driver
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah just clean them up and put a sheet over them, every month have a look see, just to be safe. Also I would support the fuse instead of leaving it to rest on its gear.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:17 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Just be careful where you store it. A guy I know stored his kits on a shelf in his garage, close to the floor. Ants got in the boxes and evidently really liked the taste of balsa.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:53 PM
sillyness

I'm not going to build it now, I plan on keeping it in its original box. The more I think about it the more I might just stuff the cash under my pillow for later and hope it's still around then when I have more time to use it. But da%^, I REALLY want one of these Yaks in my hanger!!!
Old 01-05-2005, 01:08 PM
mu2driver
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Screw that man, get the plane now, take it from me I have 3 kids and as soon as they are close you will be cut off from buying things for your self.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:12 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

I have 2 kids...well, 1 kid and a wife. Money isn't my biggest obstacle, its finding time away from the wife and kid to work on my planes that's hard.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:03 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: grbaker

Just be careful where you store it. A guy I know stored his kits on a shelf in his garage, close to the floor. Ants got in the boxes and evidently really liked the taste of balsa.
Betcha those ants were termites. Ordinary ants don't chew on wood.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:08 PM
the-plumber

Personally I'm leery of ARF 'kits'.

Too many anecdotal reports of shoddy workmanship and incorrect adhesive (hot glue versus epoxy or aliphatic).

I would wonder whether the thing will stay together while in storage, particularly if not in a temperature and humidity controlled envirionment.

Not saying to forego the purchase ('cuz I like Dave Platt's Theory Of Scarfology), but I certainly would suggest you open the airframe up for a detailed internal inspection when you finally drag it out to play if it has been stored for a long term.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:08 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy the plane, check the contents, re-seal the box, and get a roll of shrink wrap. Put a couple of layers of shrink wrap around the box and put it in a place that will stay reasonably balanced in temperatures and it will store for years.

I've got a Pilot Christen Eagle that's partially assembled that has been sitting this way for years, along with some other kits. It works just fine.

You may be able to get the shrink wrap free by going to one of the many places that use the stuff. They usually have "ends" just laying around. Once the kids arrive, you're done, so get it now
Old 01-05-2005, 03:12 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

You may be able to get the shrink wrap free by going to one of the many places that use the stuff. They usually have "ends" just laying around. Once the kids arrive, you're done, so get it now
"Glad Wrap" shrinks nicely.

The Redhead Herself is a practical jokester in the extreme.

She once wrapped a colleague's VW Beetle in Glad Wrap and shrank it on with her hair dryer. Took the guy _days_ to get the stuff off. Pretty sure it took a case or so of the wrap, but the photos are a hoot !
Old 01-05-2005, 10:20 PM
sillyness

The whole story...

My wife is telling me I should buy the plane. I just feel guilty about it since I went from 1 28% WH Extra to two RTF 33% planes in past couple months and have put nil in the bank (actually I gave the savings money this month to the Red Cross). I forgot to take myself off the list for the Extreme Flight 87" Yak when I bought the other planes... well the Yaks are here and EF wants my deposit now... it's decision time!

Arg!
Old 01-05-2005, 11:01 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sillyness
I forgot to take myself off the list for the Extreme Flight 87" Yak when I bought the other planes... well the Yaks are here and EF wants my deposit now... it's decision time!
In that case (especially since your wife is insisting) get the EF Yak. It's a special bird and there is no telling how long it will be before you can afford it again after the baby is born, or when the Yak will be available again...

You can assuage your guilt by pampering your wife during her pregnancy, and by changing lots of messy diapers! [:'(]

One of the lucky 20...[sm=lol.gif]