Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

C-Volt hookup ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C-Volt hookup ?

For those that are using c-volts and regulators..

Im setting up a cvolt for use with Fromecos' Li-ions and regulators..If I hook the cvolt up to the rx I would obviously get the regulated voltage and not a true picture of the pack..If I hook up directly to the battery I would get the un-regulated voltage but will have no way of turning it off/on..it will always be on as long as its connected to the battery..

The only options I can come up with is to connect the pack at the start of the day then unplug it at then end or install a slider switch between the battery and the cvolt...

Any other ideas??
Old 01-06-2005, 09:33 PM
drandles
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: C-Volt hookup ?

I would like to know the answer to this also. I just set up my Sukhoi with Duralite batteries. I used the regulators with switches. I put a second set of switches on the "voltage monitor" lead from the regulator's switch. On the other side of the switch I put the I4C C-volt.

Let me start over. I have 4 I4C's and 4 switches. Two C-volts monitor the battery side of my receiver battery and ignition battery and two C-volts monitor the regulated side of the regulators. The extra two switches are to disconnect the I4c from the batteries.

Confused? I was.

Dale
Old 01-06-2005, 11:14 PM
IFLY3W
My Feedback: (5)

Use a "Y" harness between the C-Volt and the battery. Will work no prob!!!

I'm using them also!!!

Chris~
Old 01-07-2005, 12:18 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

well, if you use a quality switch with a charge jack, put the reg after the switch, and connect the Cvolt to the charge jack.

I want to know how its done with regulated switches.. as that is what I have in my plane.. dont really like the idea of using Y's on the battery if I dont have to
Old 01-07-2005, 12:43 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Using a "Y" on a Fromeco battery isn't practical if you have the batteries with the H/D deans connectors. But a Fromeco battery does have a standard JR male plug on the charge lead from the regulator, and I'll just bet that this will give you an unregulated voltage readout.

Don't tell anybody, it's a secret, but it did on my single output Fromeco regulator. Haven't tried it on the triple outputs yet.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Josey Wales

The easiest option I guess is to just plug it in when you get to the field and unplug at the end of the day..Or just put a switch in between the battery and the c-volt..
Old 01-07-2005, 04:38 PM
euclid

Not adding much to the original question, but what happens if a regulated switch can't supply the required voltage?
At what voltage below that required, will the system fail?
Old 01-07-2005, 05:01 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

First of all, you guys need to call Kurt at Fromeco. Why bang your heads around when you can just call the source.

However, but as Silversurfer eludes to, its my understanding the charge lead is a direct connection to the battery...it does not go thru the regulator. If you add a charge switch and C-Volt to that lead it should work. Me, I use a load and check them the old fashioned way.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Josey Wales

I spoke to Kurt..

however I think I may not have been clear enough with my original question..I understood how to hook up the cvolt to get the unregulated voltage..Actually Kurt added an extra lead for this purpose..My question was since the cvolt is hooked direct there is no way to shut if off besides unplugging it from the battery..even when connecting to the charge lead its the same deal.Basically Kurt said you either have to put a switch between the cvolt and pack or just unplug it at the end of the day..not a big deal I just thought I was missing something...
Old 01-07-2005, 06:22 PM
awat65
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple after the switch, put a Y connector. Plug the switches output into one of the inputs on the Y, plug the C-volt in the other input on the Y connector, the output on the Y goes to the regulator. This puts the C- volt in parallel with the batery and reads the battery voltage when the switch is turned on and turns it off when the switch is turned to the off position. This is how I have mine wired. Bill Hempel has his paralled to his battery at all times. He said the current drain is so small "3ma" it will take at least a year to kill the battery. I use the C-volts on all my planes because, I can see the actual voltage under load.

Tony
Old 01-07-2005, 06:33 PM
Josey Wales

Are you using the Fromeco switches with the pins or regular switches??
Old 01-07-2005, 06:46 PM
awat65

Regular switches.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Josey Wales

I thought so..That doesnt work with these..Like I said before its no big deal but I thought I may have been missing something
Old 01-07-2005, 08:32 PM
awat65

Are you using the relia switch/regulator, regulator and switch built in one unit?.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Josey Wales

yes
Old 01-07-2005, 09:04 PM
drandles
My Feedback: (8)

I am using the Duralite regulator with switch.

I can see by all of the replies that there wasn't, as I had suspected, an easy way to do this that made sense and was simple. I had considered rewiring the switch from the regulator so that the battery voltage only came out the battery monitor lead when the switch was in the "on" position. Right now the voltage is present all of the time on the battery voltaqe monitor lead from the Duralite regulator (with switch).

Dale
Old 01-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, okay, okay.

If you're going to use the Super regulated Reliaswitch and you want to plug a C-volt into the regulator/switch charge lead, you're going to have to unplug the c-volt to charge the battery anyway, so just unplug it when you're done.

You can also add a "Y" harness to the same charge wire and install the C-volt at one end of the "Y".

Another method would be to install a regular slider switch such as you normally use and "Y" the charge lead into the switch, with the C-Volt plugged into the "ON" side of the switch.

Or you can install a "Y" on the charge lead, and tap one leg of the "Y" with a micro on/off switch, with the C-Volt on the other end.

Plus probably another 5 or 50 ways to do it.

Details, details, always the details

In any case, you should still load test your batteries with a 1 to 1-1/2 amp load to be absolutely vertain that you are within the fly-no fly voltage parameters. That's with or without a C-Volt.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Josey Wales

[8D]