Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New Engine ruined??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Mattosan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Engine ruined??

I just took my Savage 25 out for only the third time and took the glow plug out to check it was okay. It came out fine but when i put it back it didnt tighten. Instead it just truned in the thread. When i removed it again it was as I feared, the screw thread on the engine has been completely stripped.
I guess i must have cross threaded the glow plug the last time i changed it. Whats strange is there wasnt any unusual stress/pressure youd expect from a cross threaded screw when i tightened the glow plug either last time or this time. Ive never treated the engine heavy handedly when working on it so am quite dissapointed in how easily this has happened.
What are my choices from here? Is there a replacement part i can get easily or is the engine now scrap? As I only bought my truck a few weeks ago do you think HPI would replace the engine?
Thanks in advance
Matt
Old 01-07-2005, 09:38 PM
nitroracer20

Default RE: New Engine ruined??

The place the glow plug goes is seperate form the cooling head/engine, so you basically need a new glow plug mount. Heres and example: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDPY9&P=7 Look at the thing next to the cooling head, thats where the pluug goes. IM assuming you can buy them seperatly, but that was the 1st pic I saw with a glow plug mount so I used it.
Good Luck
Old 01-07-2005, 09:39 PM
nitroracer20

heres a close up pic of one: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTU66&P=7
For your sake I hope the one for your car is that cheap. BTW what engine is it?
Later
Old 01-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Mattosan

Thanks for the quick responses
Great to hear these parts are replaceable. I have the stock Savage S-25 engine. When i get a mo' I'll search tower to see if they have the part I need. Thanks again for the good news.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:06 PM
nitroracer20

No problem, even found it for ya: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFRD9&P=7
Old 01-07-2005, 11:34 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

If I were you I would contact HPI and tell them what happened. It could have been stripped from the factory that way since you never tightened it down excessively. They might replace it for you.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:48 AM
Mattosan

Love this forum
Nitro racer, thanks for finding that link for me. I'd looked but couldnt find it. I guess knowing what its called helps. Id convinced myself the engine was toast so thanks again.
I was toying with the idea of putting in the new SH-28 engine so now i have to decide what to do, stick with my HPI S-25 or go for the brute. Ant ideas? I saw a video on this forum of the Sh-28 in action. Loads of wheelies but im not sure if i want to popping wheelies ALL the time. I may fix my current engine and save the SH-28 for later in the year when i return to the UK. There isnt a whole lot of space to go nuts in tokyo. The local park is full of daft dogs without a hope of catching me!
Cheers
Old 01-09-2005, 08:05 AM
nitroracer20

I would get the engine when it gets nicer out, after all the part is only like 10 dollars anyway.
Later
Old 01-09-2005, 10:13 AM
fhm101

If you do indeed have a two piece head the part you want is known as the head button. If you have a one piece head then you will need to replace the entire unit with either a stock part, or one of the many aftermarket cooling heads available.

Whatever you do, don't turn the engine over until you break it down and make sure there are no chips from the stripped threads in it.