Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Ultracote and CA and Scratch Removal...

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Ultracote and CA and Scratch Removal...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 10:56 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Ultracote and CA and Scratch Removal...

I just ordered a Goldberg Ultimate ARF and when I got it it looks like this plane has been around a while. The covering is in pretty bad shape from the parts rubbing together in the box. And they didn't take the greatest care when applying it as there are marks on the covering from the iron. Sooo....

I've got what appears to be adhesive marks from the covering iron, on the covering... it looks like it was on the iron when they ran it over the covering...any known way to get this off?

I've also got some white haze from the CA when I put on the hinges, I was careful not to get it on the covering but it happens... will CA debonder take the haze away? Obviously keep it away from the hinges...

I just now tried automotive wax, (mequires gold class) and that seems to really be helping out the covering rub marks, but the scratches are still there and the adhesive...

I think next time it will be the DP Ultimate, I'm pretty disapointed with the goldberg.... I built one as my first kit 12 years ago and my first covering job had less scratches than this thing...

Thanks...
Old 12-31-2004, 01:00 AM
the-plumber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultracote and CA and Scratch Removal...

There is an article in the IMAA High Flight archives about removing scratches from canopies.

It might work for plastic film repair as well.

You might try acetone, "Goof Off", or "Goo Gone" to get that adhesive off. Don't think any of those chemicals are no-nos for plastic film coverings.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:46 AM
camss69

Well I guess I found the answers...

WD-40 takes off both the CA haze and the covering adheseive....

Good news is after I do all that and then wax the plane it doesn't look so bad.... still way too much work to have to do on and ARF... and still disapointing...
Old 01-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Balsa Master

yup... was just about t o say to use wd 40.... now about the scratches. if the wood underneed is dented of its a big scratch... inject a very small amount of water into the underlying wood and heat it up with your iron to boiling and it will puff the wood right back up.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

I'm just curious. Did you call the supplier and report the condition of the kit? It seems from a lot of the threads I read, RC builders are a forgiving lot. I don't know whether its because we want to get started so bad, or what. But, If more of us reported these things to the manufacturer, maybe it would help them improve the work quality, packaging, etc.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:56 PM
camss69

No I didn't report it to the supplier... it was a case of me wanting to get started soon and get the plane in the air. I have been able to get most of the adheasive off, and some of what appeared to be scratches were in fact adheasive. There are however some deep scratches, not deep enough to gouge the wood but deep enough to the point no wax is gonna take them out.. I'll be satisfied with it when it's done I think, but it's really been a lot of work to get it looking nice. Also the aluminum gear and cabanes are really really scratched and gouged.... I plan on polishing them at a later date, that with a polished spinner will look pretty nice... it should at least be reported I suppose, I still think I would not buy another.