Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Lanier 1/4 Extra 300 & MVVS 1.60 Gas?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Lanier 1/4 Extra 300 & MVVS 1.60 Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 09:43 PM
Chris in SF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier 1/4 Extra 300 & MVVS 1.60 Gas?

Hi, is anyone flying the Lanier 1/4 scale Extra? I would like to know if a MVVS 1.60 Gasser will fit on the plane. Also will it fly well with it? Lanier doesn't reccomend Gas engines because of the non-airfoil tail sections. However, I think many people are flying it with gas anyways. Are there any adverse affects that I'm oblivious to?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-05-2002, 01:56 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

I have a 1/4 Extra with a ST 2300. I'm not sure were you got the information about the extra not having an air foil on the tail but I can tell you first hand both vert and horz stabs are air foil shaped. I also have a 1/4 laser, that does not have an airfoil.
As far as flying goes, I've only gotten a few flight out of it so I'm still wringing it out, but it does seem to fly good so far.
Mine turned out a little heavy (13#) but it's doing ok so far.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:16 AM
Chris in SF

Thanks for the input. Actually, I got my info from Lanier. I e-mailed them with the same question about the gas engine and they said "no" and attributed it to the tail section.

Does your enigne fit well within the cowling? Some say that the front mounted carb on the MVVS may protrude out the front. Does it look like the cowl is a tight fit?

Thanks Again,
Chris
Old 08-06-2002, 02:28 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

It is a tight fit, with the engine sitting sideways, there is very little clearance but it still fits.
I made a few vents on the side and I also opened up the bottom. It gets plenty of cooling. As far as the carb goes, there is no problem there.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:13 PM
Chris in SF

Thanks for the info. By "tight fit" do you mean the spark plug cap is completely concealed or does it stick out slightly? Also, does it look like the carb would clear the cowl if I mounted inverted? (How much cowl would I have to cut to clear the head inverted?)

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-17-2005, 02:54 AM
Marine_S7

Default RE: Lanier 1/4 Extra 300 & MVVS 1.60 Gas?

Lanier RC Extra 300 S 1/4 scale with a super tigre 2300 for my first giant scale i have flowen many .60 size planes but never a plane like this i am almost ready for my first flight then winter came so i keep on working next nice day i can hardly wait intill it is done very little radio work left can any one give a few pointers? i have been into rc for some time now this one is huge, like wow. other that a telamaster or a 120 four star this will be the biggest bird at the field