Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Preparing for a Savage

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 10:47 PM
infernalstone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing for a Savage

Well, after much deliberation, I think I've decided on getting a Savage as my first step into Nitro.

After listening to one guys horror stories about the X-Factor, and watching it break in the review video, I didn't feel confident that I could keep the truck running dealing with all kinds of new speed. (This is a large step from Tamiya 2wd and 4wd Monsters, which I've never had going all that fast)

And while the Mad Force had my eye fairly well, something about it didn't sit right with me. Mostly in difficultly finding the info needing to settle any fears I had. And with a 3 speed coming out for the Savage, if it's needed, then I can get my shift-on with the Savage. So that left the 3rd of the three, the Savage.

So, I'm looking at getting the RTR with the .25 engine. Getting the truck and a 3 channel radio for 400 bucks? Heck yea. The .28 is too much of a break banker, since I'm my tax refund is funding most or all of the truck. Besides, when I'm ready, and the .25 is worn out, I'm sure the .28 will be a nicely priced upgrade. Anyways, to more technical matters.

What mixture of fuel is a the minimum that I can expect good performance out of? I think I've seen 20% mixture floating around a lot, so it seemed like a good number.

Anything that I need to take extra care to check before starting the truck up? I've never actually had a pre-assembled truck, and am kind of leary about it, how-ever, the idea of doing a COMPLETE tear-down and rebuild isn't exactly thrilling either.

Does the manual have good info for a first time nitro runner? Are there any web sites or books or what not that you can recommend?

Venom's temperature gauge. Is it a reliable unit, or should I look elsewhere?

This is all I can think of off-hand, but I'm sure I'll have more later. Thanks in advance for any time and help ya'll can give me.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:22 PM

Default RE: Preparing for a Savage

I have never had a RTR. But I do know that you need to check and tighten all of the screws. I have read that you should also seal the engine. http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...articleid=1233 This will prevent air leeks and help with your tuning.

You might also wont to get a motor saver air filter. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDVJ2&P=ML For better air flow to you engine

A hiteck high torque servo for steering. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUZ89&P=ML

20% fuel is what I use. I do not use a Venom's temperature gauge, but I do use a Duratrax flash point temp gauge

There is probably some other things but I can not think of them off hand.

I hope this help and enjoy your Savage!
Old 01-24-2005, 01:52 AM
FrntRngNitro

Default RE: Preparing for a Savage

ORIGINAL: infernalstone

What mixture of fuel is a the minimum that I can expect good performance out of? I think I've seen 20% mixture floating around a lot, so it seemed like a good number.
20% Nitro / 14% Oil is the HPI recommendation. Greater % Nitro or lower % Oil may shorten engine life and make tuning more difficult. Wildcat and HPI have this covered, with good availability.

Anything that I need to take extra care to check before starting the truck up? I've never actually had a pre-assembled truck, and am kind of leary about it, how-ever, the idea of doing a COMPLETE tear-down and rebuild isn't exactly thrilling either.
Check all the screws. And make certain to check the initial setting of the carb needles. The correct factory settings are given in the engine manual.

Does the manual have good info for a first time nitro runner? Are there any web sites or books or what not that you can recommend?
The manual is decent, but I don't think it gives the acceptable temp. range of the NS .25. That range is 220 - 280F. Sites? Hehe... I've looked at many in the last week. The [link=http://www.hpiracing.com/rcforum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=30]Savage FAQ at HPI[/link] has some pretty good info. The forums, both here and at RCNitro.com, are invaluable. Check out the articles at RCNitro; there are some really good ones on a great number of things.

Venom's temperature gauge. Is it a reliable unit, or should I look elsewhere?
Can't attest to any firsthand, but I heard good things about the Duratrax. So I ordered one for myself.

This is all I can think of off-hand, but I'm sure I'll have more later. Thanks in advance for any time and help ya'll can give me.
NP. Good luck. I'm looking forward to getting my Savage RTR sometime later this week. It's my first foray into nitro too, and... well... I'm all hyped up about it!