Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Rookie set up tips

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Rookie set up tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Chas
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rookie set up tips

Hi, just ordered a Rookie Yesterday and should have it end of next week. Looking for some tips on setup ( expo, surface travel etc. ) My Radio is a JR XP8103 and have a P-80 to install in it, any help would be well appreciated.

Chuck.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:02 AM
MAX EFFFORT

Default RE: Rookie set up tips

read thru these..the ones with the most replys are good info...feel free to pm me with specific questions any time..http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/searchpro.asp?phrase=rookie&advancedMatch=on&autho r=&forumid=120&topicreply=topic&message=subject&ti meframe=%3C&timefilter=-1&language=single&top=300&minRank=0&sortMethod=d&s ubmitbutton=+OK+
Old 01-23-2005, 06:10 AM
Chas

Thanks Daytona Kid for the reply, I have been surfing the Rookie threads but haven't seen any info on setup's From docile to 3d flights Kinda want to setup for docile to start. The reason I ask is that I have a gripen and If I didn't get some good feedback on setup and setup as per instructions I probally would have had a heck of time. The instructions must be pretty good on setup of flying surfaces, because I don't here any confusion on first flights.

Chuck.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:02 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

The instructions are good for the first flight. I still fly mine with the CG set there. the throws are good for a while but you may want to "turn it up" in the future. Set it up per the plans and don't be afraid to add a little elevator in the elevons you will use it on landing. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Chas

Thanks Ken, was hoping to here that. I see there is a couple ways of setting this up, Flaperons or elevons? Not sure what I'm going to do there yet.
Thanks.

Chuck.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:35 AM
MAX EFFFORT

elevons are all that can be used on a delta wing with no tail, unless you use the split control surfaces as elevator and aileron, which doesn't work good ,on rookies anyway.....most popular way is to connect/glue the 2 control surfaces on each wing together ,,and most guys use 1 servo per side...my elevons move 30 mm on hi rate, and maybe 20 mm on low ,as per directions..expo is as per instrutions too ,soft in center,as always for me.......this and all info u should need is in the link to list of rookie info threads i gave u....read thru them a little more,[,it could save u a plane.]. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_19...tm.htm#1970451
Old 01-23-2005, 02:13 PM
KFalcon

Yeah, I just talked to a local guy about this very same thing on his Rookie. He was dead set on using the inner control surfaces as flaps. That may have been pretty interesting to watch.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Chas

Thanks guys for the info. I was thinking of the inner surfaces as flaps also. I was just trying to slow it down for landing. If you's don't think it's going to work I sure don't want to go that way. I'll make them all elevon.

Chuck.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:54 PM
MAX EFFFORT

the air-brake ,at 90 degrees, works almost better than flaps, as no trim is needed and pitch control is not affected... rookies will slow to a crawl when u hold off landing till flare ,with air-brake set up right....when you read thread search info on rookie you,ll see that 9 of 10 guys set-up their a/c about the same ,with good results ..the 1 that does different is asking for trouble and making things more complicated for himself ,without worthy benefit ... i,m one of the 9 myself..
Old 01-23-2005, 05:52 PM
Chas

Daytona Kid, this is the kind of help I like, todays info was what I was looking for. Thats the great thing about RCU and the topics, sure can save a guy a lot of time. I will post pictures when I get mine ready, I have to address the fuel tank issue. Probally will go with pop bottle tank, and a dubro before UAT??

Chuck
Old 01-24-2005, 05:29 AM
KFalcon

Wouldn't using the inner surface as a flap just give the plane down elevator?
Old 01-24-2005, 09:17 AM
jetjockey
My Feedback: (8)

Guys, there have been 4 Rookies in our flying area and another one under construction as we speak. I had the first and the second ones, and set both up exactly as the book called out including a 2 liter pop bottle for a fuel tank, and also added an additional 24 oz dubro tank before the UAT (gives me a little more air time that way). The controls should be set up as elevons (forget that nonsense of using elevator/flaps/ailerons and just go with mixing as the instructions say) either using a single heavy duty servo (JR 8411 or JR 8611) with the two surfaces on each side tied together, or for insurance, use two servos per side. I've been flying my latest Rookie for over a year, and would guess I've got more trouble free flights with this bird than all my friends put together flying a little of everything else.

Remember, it's pretty hard to improve on the designer's product. If you start adding flaps, splitting elevator/aileron, I'll guarantee, you'll end up with a bird that is hard to fly and does funny things. The only thing I did different from the instructions, was to increase the up elevator and add more expo. At last count I had around 20+ hours flying my Rookies, and have loved every minute of it. This machine has turned out to be my Ugly Stik - very pleasurable to fly.

I need to get another one, as I'm about to wear my current one out because I'm flying it so much, but will wait for a while, I guess.

Stay with the instructions, you won't be sorry.

Regards, Les