Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

MAIDENED MY SEAGULL 540 TODAY!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

MAIDENED MY SEAGULL 540 TODAY!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 07:54 PM
zmcougar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MAIDENED MY SEAGULL 540 TODAY!

Thanks Nedyob. I will take a look at adding some hardwood blocks to the wing mount cross braces. Also, I think I read somewhere earlier that you added struts to the rear stabilizer and rudder but then took them off. Have you heard of others who have them on this plane, and/or possibly any others who have had failure due to not having them? It might me a weight issue to.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:59 PM
zmcougar

Thanks for your feed back P-40LUVR. I tend to agree with you. The landing gear looks beefy to me even if it is cheap metal. I think I just read somewhere that some guys were replacing them with aftermarket LG to reduce the risk of them bending. I think you're right-if I bend these LG somethings wrong.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:33 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Glad to hekpZMCOUGAR,
Yes, I did have flying wires on the tail on my first Sdge 540, but took them off because they made the Edge very tail heavy. I did put triagle stock on where the horizontal stab meets the fuse. This gave it the reinforcement it needed. I have never had the rear stab break apart on me as long as I,ve owned the Edge 540.
After the demise of my first Edge 540, (I take all the blame for the crash, and cant blame the plane) The landing gear did bend slightly,and no damage to the landing gear block.
Any way, on my second Edge 540. I did reinforce the fuse. sides with pop cycle sticks. This would be in the area of the wing saddle.
This is were the most damage was caused after the crash of the first Edge 540.
NEDYOB
Old 01-17-2005, 11:12 AM
zmcougar

Nedyob- Just out of curiosity.. what size of triangle stock did you use to reinforce your stabilizer? 1/4 inch or bigger?
Old 01-17-2005, 02:30 PM
nedyob

I used 1/2 inch. I got it cut to size and then covered them with matching red monocoat and then glued them on. Can't even see them there unless your right up close.
NEDYOB
Old 01-17-2005, 03:05 PM
zmcougar

Thanks Nedyob. Sorry to keep asking so many questions... but did you reinforce just the top of the stabilizer or did you put the triangle stock on the bottom as well?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:40 PM
nedyob

Top & Bottom. Later after the plane was finished I had someone else checked the plane & everything over before its madien flight. and they said the stab was sturdy enough w/o out the triangle stock. But after being told the Endge 540 was known to have a weak Stab, we checking it out during the maiden flight and did some wild snaps, and nothing came loose or broke. So the triangle stock was added insurence.
NEDYOB
Old 02-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Hanger 9 P-51 60 ARF

Hey I have an edge. I had a Thunder Tiger .91 in it but it did not seem to be producing enough power. Now am am putting a Thunder Tiger 2 stroke pro 120. any ideas on if this will be to much power.