Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

idle????

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 11:25 PM
blah-blah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle????

What would cause the wheels to turn pretty fast at idle? I have had the wheels turn slightly at idle and I just adjust the idle needle and it goes away but I cranked my savage today and they were turning hard. I have adjusted the idle screw and have not gotten any better results. Could it be high or low speed needle settings? I know the clutch is engaging and spinning the wheels but I can't figure out why. The mesh is right. It definitely has something to do with needle settings right? Thanks for any help.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:37 PM
cardriverx

Default RE: idle????

yeah you might have it too lean
Old 02-06-2005, 12:47 AM
blah-blah

too lean on the low speed needle? high speed needle? thanks.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:39 AM
Richie-EB4

Could be your clutch springs as they do get weaker with time and heat..........maybe have a look to see what condition there in.

JMO

Good Luck
Old 02-07-2005, 12:05 PM
blah-blah

I looked at the clutch springs and they are so so. They are going to have to be replaced shortly. After some tuning I have it where the only time the wheels turn is if I lift the truck off the ground. I have never tuned a truck in this cold of weather so I am lost. Any ideas? Does it sound like I am rich or lean on the LSN? thanks.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Richie-EB4

ORIGINAL: blah-blah

I looked at the clutch springs and they are so so. They are going to have to be replaced shortly. After some tuning I have it where the only time the wheels turn is if I lift the truck off the ground. I have never tuned a truck in this cold of weather so I am lost. Any ideas? Does it sound like I am rich or lean on the LSN? thanks.
Its not easy to say.........i wouldnt like to say your rich and then you mess with it and it gets worse..........the best thing to do is try and adjust it one way or the other as per the manual.
What is it like from a standing start ?? performance wise ??
Old 02-07-2005, 12:25 PM
ed260z

I've had the same problem. You need to richen up your low speed.
But be careful. Don't richen it to the point where it idles down by turning it. Do it in 1/8 increments, run it and bring it back. You don't want to make it so rich that it loads up with fuel either, or it will die if it sits more than a few seconds.
RC Nitro has a great article on tuning. http://rcnitro.com/rn/articles/ht_tunengine_01.asp