Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Aeroworks Katana

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aeroworks Katana

Don't worry, you will love this plane, it flies so nice. Just go over it real good with the iron, reglue anywhere you can reach.
The way I got glue inside the fuse, around the stab tube was to stick a rod in the servo wire hole, with the fuse on its side, and let glue run down the rod to get the glue around the outside of the tube where it glues to the fuse sides.
Then I used epoxy on the inside of the fiberglass tube, and coated the aluminium tube with a thin coat of vaseline so the epoxy didn't stick. Slid it together, install the stab halfs, check the alignment, let dry. An easier method would be to wrap the aluminum tube with some tape.
Check the alignment dowels on the wing, if they seem loose(mine were) take them out and reglue with epoxy.
Be sure you check the wing and stab incidence. I used the Robart meter with the long bar. If you have a digital level it's a little more accurate.
Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 02-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Dave763

I'll post the answer to your firewall/fiberglass question here. No reson to keep two threads going. It's hard to see in the pic but there is fiberglass cloth going down the side of the engine box and wraps around the front of the fire wall and down the other side.
You can see the dowels pinning the firewall, this is pinned on the bottom as well. Then coat with epoxy and lay down the fiberglass and brush it out to wet out the cloth( thats when it gets translucent and also why its hard to see in the pic). When its dry, cut off the excess with a razor.

I hope that is clear.

Dave, Pro Bro 723
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78001.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	226060  
Old 02-07-2005, 12:42 PM
c016Y

Perfect Dave. Thanks for all the tips. You have really helped a LOT.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Dave763

No problem.

Dave
Old 02-07-2005, 06:49 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

ORIGINAL: c016Y

I did you sell it before you ever flew it?
Sold it before I ever flew it. If, I were going to build and fly one of these I would do what flyingrazorback did, and completely strip the plane. Fix everything, sand the crap out of it, and then recover. Oh and get a new cowl. That's a lot of work for something that is considered an arf. [:@]

I have no doubt this plane flies well once it is in the air, but I will not waste any time on a piece of junk. If I had wanted to buy a junk airplane I would have gotten a Vmar!

I think the giant scale airplanes (GSP) stuff is of higher quality.

Can anybody change my avatar to have calvin pissing on aeroworks?? [X(]
Old 02-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Dave763

Bryan,I agree with you in that there are nicer ARFs out there, Look at 3W or Composite ARF,now look at the price.You get what you pay for.
I think some people just don't have what it takes in terms of patience, to be able to work through the different problems as they present themselves. No big deal.Don't buy cheap ARFs.
Rather it is much easier to just get rid of that "junk".Or just spend the big bucks and get it over with.Of course, it hurts alot more when you screw it into the ground[X(]

Like I said don't worry, this plane rocks!

Dave763, Pro Bro 723
Old 02-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Dave763

This could be my new avatar
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Dave763

I did not have all these problems with my covering or the hatch. And yes, I would buy it again if I crashed it.

Dave763, Pro Bro 723

ORIGINAL: flyinrazrback

The quality is some of the best I have seen from arfs, my only complaint was my hatch was warped, so had to strip it and sand it to level, and re-cover it. Also, on flight #2, the whole right side of white ultracote on the top wing came off when doing a wall, so had to recover the wing on top on the right side. Other than that, pretty nice, just need to go over the plane on the inside with some thin ca, there is not much glue on the inside. Question is, would I buy another one if I crashed this one? Yes, before I would buy another edge, extra or anything else.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:33 PM
c016Y

I guess we won't ever get that chance though from what I have read. A few have said they sold the plans to the manufactor in China and they are changing. They won't have those plans anymore. Also.. Rocco even says it is not likely he will make them again, but, "never say never" he says. He says he has just made them for x number of years and he likes to keep things moving through the line. I dunno.. I hope this does not mean that I will not be able to buy a wing or whatever if something that simple breaks.. we will see.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:32 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

ORIGINAL: Dave763

This could be my new avatar
Dave I hope you are not implying that I am a spoiled brat?? I have worked very hard to get the planes I have. I work for a living you know just like all the rest of you guys!

And also It's not like I have went out and just started trashing aeroworks. The man asked what I thought about it, and I told him. I agree you get what you pay for in this hobby. But please remember I bought my kat when they first came out. Not at the 795 price they are now. By the time it was shipped it was right at 1000 bucks. Not inexpensive in my book. So then when I went to sell it, they had dropped to the 795 price. So I did good to get 650-700 out of it. "Hey thanks fellas not only did I get a crappy plane I also had to take a beating to sell it." Not Cool! [:'(]

And does it really hurt much more to screw a 800 arf into the ground or a 1300 arf?? When planes get this expensive whats a few hundred more??

Speaking of dollars and such, you realize just how lucky we all are don't ya?? Here we are having a freindly "argument" over toy airplanes that cost thousands of dollars when completed, all the while their are people in this country who can't make this month's rent??? [sm=idea.gif] I for one am going to be happy!
Old 02-08-2005, 05:36 AM
Dave763

Sorry Byran. That was uncalled for. I was only kidding.

Dave