Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

tailwheel set up on giant plane

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

tailwheel set up on giant plane

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 09:16 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tailwheel set up on giant plane

I wasnt going to show my ignorance but what method works best when installing a tailwheel on a giant that weighs about 18 pounds..I tried finding a how to but havent seen any..I am going to use a pull pull..I do have an ohio superstar but am open to suggestions..I have seen springs and I have also seen a nyrod with a rod to the rudder and wheel assembly.. this is my first giant ..its a lanier stinger giant..
Old 02-07-2005, 11:09 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: tailwheel set up on giant plane

I would personally stay with springs. The rudder servo or servos on this size plane are not cheap and you do not want to damage them. The sullivan tail wheels are very nice and simple for $9. Then you can go with Dave Patrick, or RC Blimp productions (CF) for something fancy. http://members.aol.com/rcblimppro/page2.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46707.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	226319  
Old 02-08-2005, 07:40 AM
3D Joy

Just a comment for the photo above :

What I see is the big spring that comes with the tail wheel assembly. It is also the weakest one. If this plane is anything more than, say 6 lbs, the spring is not strong enough and any cross wind at take off will push the plane away. I had the same setup on my 1/4 scale cap 232 at 11 lbs and it was defenitely not strong enough. Even the smaller stiffer one is borderline IMO.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:10 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the stiffer of the two actually. It works fine but I agree that slow taxying can be a pain in a crosswind but on take off or landing it's not a major problem since the rudder is in full control. Any tail wheel with springs is going to do that. If the springs are too stiff you can damage your servo. It's a compromise.

ORIGINAL: 3D Joy

Just a comment for the photo above :

What I see is the big spring that comes with the tail wheel assembly. It is also the weakest one. If this plane is anything more than, say 6 lbs, the spring is not strong enough and any cross wind at take off will push the plane away. I had the same setup on my 1/4 scale cap 232 at 11 lbs and it was defenitely not strong enough. Even the smaller stiffer one is borderline IMO.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:32 AM
3D Joy

If it is the small one, it is the stiffest. From the photo, it looked like the large one, which makes the tailwheel wobble like crazy... My mistake...

Modern servos are much stronger than those little springs and it should not be a concern IMO.