Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Stika and Masking Film

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Stika and Masking Film

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 07:18 PM
Rcaerosport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stika and Masking Film

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good brand of masking film to use when spraying? Those that I have used(from art stores) leaves a residue behind, and it can get quite messy, esp when dealing with small letters....

Thanks
Derek
Old 09-10-2002, 11:33 PM
rcalfred

Default masking film

Derek: Need a clearer definition of what you want. Do you mean frisket film, the clear plastic film with the low tack adhesive, or the liquid film that is brushed or sprayed on the surface? I suspect the former.
What I have used in the past is by Badger--the airbrush people. I have never had any problem with it leaving a glue residue. If you mean the other, with which I have had excellent results, the brand I have was from Bob Dively Models. Not sure that it is still available but it is called liquid masking film. Another source is Micro-Mark. They call it Mask-It Easy. $7.50 for 8 ounces. Brush/spray it on, let it set, draw the markings on with a soft pencil, cut it out with a scalpel or #11 Exacto and spray or brush the paint.
Does not leave a residue and does not allow the paint to creep under the edges. Regards.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:58 AM
Rcaerosport

Default Stika and Masking Film

Hi Al,

Yeah, I was referring to the former. I have a Stika Cutting Machine, and I have tried using two other brands of Foto Frisket(not Badger as my local art store doesn't have it), and they all leave a sticky resiude behind.

So, Badger's Low Tack Masking film leaves behind no residue at all?

Thanks!