Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

How to put an ARF on a diet?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

How to put an ARF on a diet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 04:08 AM
0tter
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to put an ARF on a diet?

I have just ordered a Lanier Edge 540. The claimed weight (~11lb) doesn't look bad and I haven't read any alarming threads about weight issues. Still, I am interested in reducing the weight of the plane. I'll be installing an OS 1.60.

Where do you begin? Is any one area better than another to consider weight reduction? or is all in the components (CF components, aluminum v/s SS, 1200 mh instead of 2400mh etc...)
Old 09-11-2002, 01:23 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nylon gear servos are usually lighter than metal gear. Plastic spinners are lighter than aluminum - Sig makes a line of plastic spinners that are cut for APC props, btw.

Don't install a pilot/instrument panel, unless you plan to compete in IMAC Sporstman or Advanced classes. A 1400 mah NIMH battery is plenty in a 1/4 scale aerobat and weighs a lot less than equivalent nicads. Omit the wheel pants for another couple of oz.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:59 PM
lnorris
My Feedback: (1)

Default Small things

Things like wheels can vary in weight quite a bit. Going with the lightest can sometimes save 2 -3 ounces.

Engine mounts can also vary in weight quite a bit.

Linkages like going with carbon fiber pushrods or pull-pull can save an ounce here or there.

Go easy on the epoxy.

The biggest mistake I see people doing is installing servos in the tail and then having to add a bunch of nose weight to offset it. Ideally no "dead weight" should be added if you do it right.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:14 PM
T28pilot
My Feedback: (2)

Oh and forget the APC prop....spend the $$$ for a 18x6 mezjlik

Mine came in at 10.4 pounds....i had it built so i don't know what exactly he did....i got my landing gear from TNT....which is a must...standard JR servo's.....thats all i can think of right now....i can take extensive pictures of mine if you need them...lemme know
Old 09-11-2002, 03:13 PM
0tter

Has any one put pull pull Elevator. in place of push rods or servos in the tail?
Old 09-11-2002, 03:15 PM
Blackie

I may have over looked this as somone may have already mentioned it. Replace your metal wing tube with carbon fiber and also your landing gear with carbon fiber.
Old 09-12-2002, 01:18 AM
0tter

Ok, so nobody has done any surgery... No cutting or drilling the airframe etc....??
Old 09-12-2002, 02:03 AM
RICEC5

I just started my Edge and am not an expert on this plane, but here are my thoughts. I find the dense foam wheels included in my Lanier Edge to be extermely light for their 3.25 inch size and only a tad heavier than Dave Brown foam wheels in that size. Very little gained to go elsewhere IMO. Elevator servo's forward with twin CF or Dave Brown pushrods with your light engine (similar weight YS 140 going on mine) This is the elevator servo setup suggested by the Lanier tech I spoke with and he suggests removing the bottom covering to gain access with this setup.) This will minimize/eliminate the need for nose ballast when using a light glow engine. All of the CF suggestions will benefit (prop, wing tube and LG) if your wallet is fat. Easy with the epoxy on the tail end.

Leave the panties on... looks good on aerobats as well as on fun related evening sports objects. The little bit of weight is forward of the C/G and may contribute to your balance needs.

Joe
Old 09-12-2002, 12:03 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

A bunch of good ideas listed here. For more ideas, read my review of the DP Extra in the review section here on RCU(http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...94&forumid=142). Don't use a Mejzlik or similar CF prop as they are the heaviest props out there...unless you need it for balance then it is weight well spent. Zinger Pros are one of the lighter good props. A Mejzlik in the 20" size weighs about 2-2.5 ozs more than a Zinger Pro..