Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Fiberglassing wing joints

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Fiberglassing wing joints

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 05:31 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglassing wing joints

How are you glassing your wing joints. I put a coat of 12 minute epoxy down, then the fiberglass strip, then another topcoat of epoxy and let it dry all at the same time. Is this a good way to do it?
Old 09-11-2002, 08:13 PM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglassing wing joints

Here's what works for me:

1. Cut glass cloth to size. A Fiskars rotary cutter (like a razor-sharp pizza cutter) available in the fabrics department at WalMart is perfect for cutting glass or carbon fiber cloth or tape. If I'm not using glass tape, I will cut the glass on a 45 degree bias. This greatly helps to prevent fraying.

2. Center the glass on the wing joint and straighten it out. Brushing it with a dust brush helps work out the wrinkles. When the glass is aligned like you want it, apply masking tape approximately 1/8" out from the glass on both sides.

3. Remove the glass and lightly (the lighter the better) mist it with 3M77 spray adhesive. Place the glass cloth back on the joint and smooth it out.

4. Apply laminating epoxy (I prefer West Systems 150/205) with a brush to completely wet-out the glass. When the glass is completely wet-out, remove as much epoxy as possible by scraping with a credit card and / or blotting with a paper towel. Extra epoxy only adds weight. When satisfied, pull off the tape. If required, clean up excess epoxy with table vinegar (believe it or not!), denatured alcohol, or acetone.

5. When the epoxy is completely cured, lightly sand the glass and fill (if desired) then cover.

Voila!

Using more layers of lighter cloth will result in a lighter and stronger structure with a much more even finish...i.e. use 3 layers of 1.5 oz cloth instead of 1 layer of 4 oz. Even though the cloth itself weighs more, the 4 oz cloth will take much more resin.

Have fun,
-Tom