Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Mode 1 or Mode 2 Question of preference

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Mode 1 or Mode 2 Question of preference

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Psyco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mode 1 or Mode 2 Question of preference

Hi All,

I've been flying RC for 30+ years and always had rudder + throttle on the left stick, and aileron + elevator on the right. With the coordination required for 3D flight with the elevator and rudder, are many out there using the reversed mode on a Futaba radio where the aileron is on the left stick and rudder on the right? Futabas come from the factory with this set-up, there must be a reason I'm not aware of. I'm slow on the left-hand and thought this may help in knife edge, torque rolls and hovering.

Thanks.

Len
Old 02-14-2005, 03:29 PM
campbec

Default RE: Mode 1 or Mode 2 Question of preference

Arrrh the great debate, Mode 1 or Mode 2 not to mention the strange mixes used by the heli types.

I have read that if you want to be competitive in pattern flying Mode 1 is the way to go as most of the top flyers use Mode 1 and can help you trim out your model.

I think the reality is most people have learn't the same mode as their instructor and stick with it. I learned to fly Mode 1 and the thought of trying to learn a different mode doesn't even rate a blip on my radar.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 02-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Campbec's post is the FIRST I have EVER seen on this topic where the Mode 1 flyer was modest about his choice. That makes a total ot TWO Mode 1 flyers I know of who don't boast about how much better it is.

There's a guy in one of my clubs that flies (and instructs) either mode. He doesn't say much about it, but when he bought a 9C he called 'em up and found out how to make it Mode 1. He is perhaps 75 years old. One of his contemporaries flies at another of my clubs, on Mode 2. Both are excellent fliers.

I don't believe there's much difference, but I do know there's a debate!

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 02-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Psyco

Thanks.... I did a search on Mode 1 and found a bunch of info in the forums. I think I'm going to give it a try, actually what I think I want is Mode 3 or 4 where the left is throttle and aileron and right is elevator and rudder. I had seen where one fellow finds it easier to 'set' the roll rate for slow rolls etceteras and then coordinates the yaw and pitch better on the right hand not disturbing the roll at all.

We'll see what happens this summer.[X(]

Len
Old 02-18-2005, 02:13 PM
jaka

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi!
Mode 2 rules!
Over here in Sweden no one flies anything else than mode 2
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden